local wood store happens to have a lot of aspen in a lot of really conveniant sizes for sale relatively cheap (relatively as to maple, mahogany, and cherry). however, the store sorts its wood by hardness, and it was as follows:

oak, maple, cherry, aspen, pine

with it being right next to pine, as well as me not knowing a whole lot about it, it kinda scared me away from buying immediately. but for the price, i would really like to pick some up and use it (if nothing else) as a 1/2" or 1/4" top or back.

info and suggestions, please.

• 2 years later...

I know this is my first post, and i am very new to this hobby (i'm just starting my first project now), but what I found about Aspen wood, is that it is very similar to basswood in almost everyway. The only difference is that Basswood soaks up stain like a sponge, meanwhile Aspen reacts like normal woods. In addition to this, Aspen is in the Poplar family. So, I figure that you can expect a tonal range from Basswood to Poplar. Most info on the net that I found stated that it would be a great lead guitar body wood (comparing it to poplar and basswood), and will lend you a warm tone. As for a neck wood. I recommend using a harder wood to increase neck strength. I am going to use Aspen for my body on my first project and maple for the neck.

Joe

For all intents and purposes…Aspen = Poplar = Cottonwood. All part of the same genera Populus. It oughta work fairly well, particularly if it's inexpensive and abundant. B)

D'oh!!! Just realized this is an ancient thread. Thanks a lot, Bigjoe… :D:D

Edited by HVX

I know this is my first post, and i am very new to this hobby (i'm just starting my first project now),

Joe

Hey Joe: Cool info on the wood and welcome!

thanks for the welcoming message. My project I'm starting with is copying the Ibanez JS10th (my brother is in the process of making the first templates). I hope he can get them pretty acurate. I got him as many numbers as I could think of in the measurement. I am using my samick strat style guitar as a base. Then having him adapt the body and neck to the proper designs. He seems to be fairly good artistically. I then hope that my workmanship will be good enough. My only plus right now is his design abilities, my resources on the net, and my ability to pickup things fast. I'll try to keep you guys updated. I've just recently picked up a rotary tool with a bunch of bits. I hope that will be helpful. I also hope that modern metallic paints can create the chromeboy finish without the major blemishes. I've seen some of the spray paints on the net with samples from personal sites and they seem to produce a good looking finish. My only worry is the neck. I think it will atleast take me a few shots to get it right. I know that there are tutorials on how to make a neck, including how to copy the profile, but i know i will definately screw it up somehow. I guess that is the whole reason i am doing this as a project, while i'm working on my book (its a cookbook), is to learn something cool and have the pride in whatever comes out was made by my hands.

Joe