Peeling Paint Off

Jehle

Remember that scene in the Batman movie where he's putting the moves on Cat woman? Then the both rip their masks off... Remember how batmans mask ripped off in one big rubbery sheet?

Well, that's about what the paint did on my kit guitar. :D Every bit of black lacquer on the back of the guitar peeled off. Or rather, everywhere there was sanding sealer. I'm pretty confused about it.

First of all, what the heck happened? Why did the lacquer not cure and stay in this rubbery state? It's been since January! Is this the mark of Rustoleum lacquer Brian? I know that you talk about it as if Rustoleum is the scurge of the earth. Is this why?

Second, I have to redo it, obviously. How can I be sure to not have the same problem on this guitar and any future guitar? I figure I need to take down the sealer to the wood, respray and repolish. But, I don't want to wait for months this time. I need options.

Meanwhile, I'll be crying in my beer over here. :<

Well, did you prime the guitar before you added your paint? There are certain paints that ahere do different things, and maybe on accident you picked the two types of sand and sealer and paint that dont want to stick. And if you are looking for paint, a great site that sells nitrocellulose laquer in many different solid colors and translucents is www.reranch.com, they also sell the clear nitro laquer too. These are the types of things that you want to paint your guitar with, and you don't have to worry about primer either.

Is this the mark of Rustoleum lacquer Brian? I know that you talk about it as if Rustoleum is the scurge of the earth. Is this why?

Yes that can be one of the problem's. I do use their sandable primer, that is about the only product I have found of theirs that works for me.

To help you get along be sure to lightly sand the surface of the sealer to begin with if it is still the factory surface and put on a good primer coat like Chandler said.........

Oh man thats rough, I hate to hear it but it does happen :D

Thanks guys. As you can imagine I'm pretty gutted about it. I have no fear of messing things up and fixing them, but this one really took the cake.

Oddly enough, the front of the guitar with the planarian paper and the Deft clear lacquer is fine. It's tough as nails. I would like to salvage that if I can.

I'll pay attention to more sanding, a primer coat, and then proceed slowly with another lacquer. Rustoleum is cursed as far as I'm concerned. I'm off to the reranch!