Is it easy?

Rosewood finger boards are fairly easy to clean up with something like Oilsoap which will clean and polish.

Maple is a different story since each tends to vary from each other on ease of cleaning up. You might want to try using a clean rag and some Naptha or plain lighter fluid if it's maple and be prepaired to give it a clearcoat for protection afterwards.

I've been wondering about this recently. My fingerboard (rosewood) is really dirty, just a build up of dirt and grime. I didn't know what would be best to use I didn't want to sand/scrape the gunk off in fear of messing up the wood and I didn't know what sort a chemicals/cleaners would damage it.

She's cheap and old but I still love her! B)

Beard-ee :D

Dan Erlewine recommends naptha and a toothbrush on really nasty boards. I've tried it and it will strip off any grime right down into the pores. This will also strip the natural oils from the top layer of unfinished wood so you only want to use just enough to get the job done. I dipped the toothbrush into the naptha and shook off most of it leaving just a damp brush and follow up with a rag to get the loose crap off. Let it dry for a good long time and then give it an oil treatment of your choice.