Can i get away with no Grain Filler?

Drak, I tried to find the saphire blue guitar that made me think about the color but the already sold it. It was a Mah body and the blue looked the same as with the maples. I guess that they bleached it... I am going to test on scraps before painting the actual guitar, and see which way looks better I love blue guitars!

Hey Guys!! wow what a reply to this one! Thanks for all the input, I really don't want to skip the grain filler if I can help it, want an absolute beautiful finish on this guitar (might aswell to it good since i'.m going to all the effort of sanding,etc!).

Tomorrow, i'm goign to try phoning some local building supplies (Jewson's, etc to you UK peeps) so hopefully they will be able to help me out!

Can't believe that B&Q and Homebase didn't have a drop of it!

I will find some, just a pain in the butt really! I've already put an order to Stew Mac last week for electronics and stuff, but left out grain filler! (woops!) ...don't really want to pay for international shipping again just a week later!

Thanks again,

Doc

Hey Guys!! wow what a reply to this one! Thanks for all the input, I really don't want to skip the grain filler if I can help it, want an absolute beautiful finish on this guitar (might aswell to it good since i'.m going to all the effort of sanding,etc!).

Tomorrow, i'm goign to try phoning some local building supplies (Jewson's, etc to you UK peeps) so hopefully they will be able to help me out!

Can't believe that B&Q and Homebase didn't have a drop of it!

I will find some, just a pain in the butt really! I've already put an order to Stew Mac last week for electronics and stuff, but left out grain filler! (woops!) ...don't really want to pay for international shipping again just a week later!

Thanks again,

Doc

I have a website link *somewhere* and if i remember correctly, they do sell grain filler (might be sanding sealer). Think it was a company in Scotland but you can order online/over the phone and have it delivered.

Let us know if you find somewhere else and in the mean time i'll have a look for that link.

Axminster sells a waterbased grain filler. You can also use araldite rapid, or any other 5 minute epoxy as a good grain filler.

B&Q don't sell grain filler because it's a product for *real* woodworkers, not a group B&Q are interested in appealing to. You don't need grain filler to fit a sink, or stencil a floral border on your walls... :D B&Q occasionally have some decent power tools, and hardware which can be used to assemple compression rods, but other than that they are pretty useless. I've given up trying to find stuff there, it always ends up being a waste of time.

Axminster sells a waterbased grain filler. You can also use araldite rapid, or any other 5 minute epoxy as a good grain filler.

B&Q don't sell grain filler because it's a product for *real* woodworkers, not a group B&Q are interested in appealing to. You don't need grain filler to fit a sink, or stencil a floral border on your walls... :D B&Q occasionally have some decent power tools, and hardware which can be used to assemple compression rods, but other than that they are pretty useless. I've given up trying to find stuff there, it always ends up being a waste of time.

yeah i know what you mean!

I have ordered some from Axminster today - so hopefully by the end of the week i'll have everything sorted and will have my electronics from stew mac! which makes for one good weekend of guitaring!

also... off to see nightwish in Bradford tomorrow so this could be a damn good week indeed!

:DB)

Has anyone tried the materials from this UK company: http://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/ttwp4.html ?

Down the bottom there's a grain-filler listed, but it says it's 'mahogany' - meaning it's been stained...?

I too need a clear grain-filler and I live in the UK. I tried the Axeminster site but it was down.

Is two-part epoxy practical to use though? What can you thin it with and has anyone done this before?

I agree about B&Q, but they do have good tools....like routers, dremel, sanders and also cheap band-saws and drill presses (£39!)....meaning useful workshop machinery is within reach.

Axminster site seems fine to me, if you can't get on there though you could always phone them:

Telephone Order Line

To make your order over the phone

tel: FREEPHONE 0800 371822

(8am-8pm Mon-Thur, 8am-5.30pm Fri, 9am-5pm Sat)

The grain filler order code is: NATFILL

• 2 weeks later...

OK, new question.

I have a hard figured maple top. I want a clear satin finish over stained wood. Here's what I think:

I sand the body smooth (400 grit or something)

I stain using the waterbase Stew Mac kind

I spray with that waterbase Stew Mac sanding sealer (then maybe sand- fine grit)

Then I spray a few coats of Stew Mac satin waterbase laquer (maybe sanding between each coat).

Now, a few questions:

1. Would this process work?

2. Do I really need sanding sealer?