How many of us

PaulNeeds

Do you play live with a band or solo?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm interested to find out what kinds of people we have here!

I used to play out every few weeks with the band i was a member of, but then the whole project imploded back in February and we've only played together once since then.

We definitely didn't make any money at it, but it was a lot of fun most of the time. Other times it just felt like work. But i do love to play in front of people, and i don't get nervous at all any more.

I play in a average band playing covers at parties. We do it for fun, but we do get paid a meagre amount to do it. We have done a couple of pup gigs though

Its good fun, and we actually choose good songs to cover too, not the usual ones ALL freaking cover bands seem to do.

:D

I play the guitar in a metal band, kinda a cross between Megadeth, Maiden and Pantera B) We haven't gigged much in the last couple of years partly due to swapping drummers a couple of times and partly to the other guys going to Uni etc. But hopefully we'll be back on stage soon :D

After our first drummer left the band it took us a year to find a re-placement :D , so myself, the singer and other guitarist started an acoustic band. We played a wide range of covers... Maiden, Bowie, Nirvana, Chuck Berry, Lifehouse, Incubus....the list goes on.

It was great fun but there's nothing like playing your own music :D

wow, lots of organized players heh. me and my acoustic hit the streets with two buddies and we just play. most of the time the bass player will make a simple progression, ill make up some chordes to follow, and the third guy freestyles some lyrics. sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, sometimes people throw money at us trying to get us to stop. its just a fun thing, we usually take the money and get some food after.

doees anyone here write thier own music with their band?

we try, but it dosnt work to well. me and the drummer are the only ones who know anything about theroy.

#1 musical misconception: You need to know theory to write songs.

Back in high school, a few of my friends went to the same guitar teacher, and they all thought songwriting was some mystical craft that only the most élite musicians were capable of doing. The only kind of musical 'creativity' they were taught was I-IV-V blues jams. I didn't take guitar lessons, but wrote dozens of songs in a couple of years.

In my opinion, music theory can take the music right out of a creative and talented individual without the right teacher.

But if you want to write songs, use your ear, trust your gut and just go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it without musical theory.

Of course, knowing more will open up more opportunities and different options you may not have otherwise considered, but ignorance also has its place. :D

I play with a bunch of guys old enough to be my Dad. We cover the usual stuff and while we do get the occassional paying gig, I do it for fun. I love playing out ( however our last two gigs were outdoor gigs and we got rained out after the first set both times).

I play with a band, we get together couple times, and i am finally gettin good enough to play live (hopefully) I have played in front of people before, myself, just goofin around, i got booed a couple times :D and sometimes i got a few woohoo's

Curtis