what do you think of my action

do you think my action is good? I get a little fret buzz but I still think it's too high when I press on the strings, I don't know if it's just me it's supposed to be hard to press on the strings. :confused:

my action is 1/32" at the 1st fret, a little over 2/32" (possibly 3/64") at the 12th fret, and 3/32" at the 24th fret for the low E.

On the high E, I have a little under 1/32" on the 2st fret, 2/32" on the 12th, and 2/32" on the 24th. (same on the 12th and 24th)

I spent the whole day setting it up!! I get some fret buzx on the bass strings.

do you think this is really good string height? Is this is the ideal height for shredding on the high strings, you think?

thanks

Action is something that is totally personal. How does it feel to you? If it feels good and there is no major Buzzing, then it is good action. There is no more subjective part to guitar set up then action.

George

really? a little high at the first fret, huh? hmmm yeah it takes more effort to press down the first 3 frets with this guitar... but I don't want to complicate stuff so I'm gonna leave it at that. the neck relief is right... I mean it was a bit bowed before, there was about 1/64" relief so now I made it to like... 1/128". more fret buzz... i don't know what I should do with it now..... adjust bridge or adjust rod? does the action measurements I mentioned ealier seem really low? I play hard. should I loosen the rod more or just adjust the bridge? I'm stuck! thanks

I play lots of metal and rock and headbanging stuff, no slides. I play fingerstyle often too though.

i'm still stuck. last night I raised the bridge a little and the action increased by about 1/64" at the 12th fret but there is still slight buzzing. I'm really paranoiD!!

sounds like you need to run through a complete buzz diagnostic, or whatever that's called. We should probably put one together here, so we don't have to put links about it on other sites.

What positions buzz ?

Fret board radius ?

age/model of guitar ?

When setting the action height at the 12th fret, press the string down at the 1st fret while doing that. Set high E , at 12th fret a little over 1/32", Low E the same way at 1/16". You can usually get away with this set-up on most guitars with fairly level frets and no fret-board humps, and properly working truss-rod. Relief should be less than .012" at the 7th fret.

I'll be writing a whole book if I write everything I can think of for a topic like this, so I'm going to stop, at least for now.

the high E, when it is fretted at the first fret, has an action of 1/16" at the 12th fret. the low E has a wee bit over 1/16" at the 12th fret.

I'm not gonna list all the positions that buzzes, because I'm gonna sell this guitar anyway after a few months to get an ESP Horizon. the model is ESP LTD SC500 Stephen Carpenter sig model (the discontinued one). I don't know the fretboard radius.

thanks!