neck join

hey guys,

still on my first guitar, on my second attempt at the neck. so far so good, almost finished, just down to the final shaping etc. Its a bolt on neck - thought it would be easiest.

i was wondering if there was a good/safe way of making the back of the neck where it joins the body so its flat and square? obviously I don't want to take off too much. Just a sanding block and a lot of care?

thanks,

Marek

also in case any londoners were reading this, theres a place called caledonian joiners on caledonian road that I found this morning, said they could thickness a piece of wood (i.e. my body blank) for a fiver. i think the door number is 376 you cant miss it.

then you should take your neck blank down to the caledonian joiners, you're supposed to joint then plane your neck blank to get a good square peice of wood. This has to be done before or after you glue the fingerboard on BUT before the fingerboard is radiused and fretted.

also in case any londoners were reading this, theres a place called caledonian joiners on caledonian road that I found this morning, said they could thickness a piece of wood (i.e. my body blank) for a fiver. i think the door number is 376 you cant miss it.

Muchas muchas grassy-arse :D

A funitnure place in Reading will plane a body blank for £35

Another place in Reading quoted £60

A bit cha-ching! I assume those two places would do it by hand. A person with a surface planer would probably charge less but i have no idea what a 'reasonable' price is.