mustang

Probably have more luck in one of the other forums, as far as I know it's the same thickness as the Strat, plenty less than two inches, plenty more than one inch! Terrible answer I know. :D

The trem is a funny mount and doesn't go through the body so they can stay quite thin.

hi,

does anyone of you own a fender mustang??? i need to know how thick it is. thanks. helge

helge, pulled out my '66 mustang, and it's exactly one and a half inches, inclusive of finish.

trem is indeed a funny mount and it doesn't go all the way through. if you need any other dimensions that don't require taking the guitar apart much, just ask.

josh

Whats the trem on it like, does it stay in tune at all and what is the sustain like with it compared to floyd.

Dunno which I should get a floyd or mustang bridge, the mustang bridge should be cheaper thats the main thing but I want to get the better of the two?

As I have a Jag-Stang, I think I can help you on the bridge issue.

The Mustang/Jag-Stang bridges have some good and bad points. General concensus says they don't stay in tune very well unless you secure the bridge posts and lock the rear tailpiece from moving using washers and stuff (ah, the ol' "Kurt Cobain" modification). While this may make sense on a factory made Mustang, on a custom Mustang you built yourself, it makes no logical sense as all you are really doing is creating a Fender version of a "Tune-O-Matic w/ Stop Tailpiece", but as I see you want a tremelo, I have 2 viewpoints on it.

First off, you CAN get a Mustang bridge as a tremelo to stay in tune. But for the best stability that would be with Locking Tuners, a Graphite lubed nut, and for best results you need to crank the bridge posts as tight as they go into the rear bar of the tailpiece (which will give you about 2" of travel for the bar to go down, it looks a little weird at first glance, but I've been using my Jag-Stang like this for 3 years for Floyd type whammy excursions). It works well, keeps the original vintage look, though it might not be for many people (most floyd users could not stand having their Whammy bar 2" off the pickguard like I do), but it does offer an advantage in pitch control.

However, the easiest way of doing this would be just to get a Kahler tremelo, if you are going for a Mustang sized body, a Floyd Rose will not fit properly as the body is too thin. This was also the reason my Super-Jag project (which I have taken some time off from for a few weeks to work out some budgeting for other things) uses a Kahler as the Teisco body was too thin for a Floyd or other tremelo that works like a Strat trem.

Anyway, good luck with the project.

(edit) Oh, and the sustain properties with the Dynamic are about as good as that of a Floyd Rose if you ask me. I think the floyd rose is a little better, but a Mustang bridge can come close using the same mod I have.

thank you for the quick reply. how do you like your mustang?? actually i need all measurements. i want to do the blank first though, so i needed the thickness first. do you know if the cyclone has the same body contours???

mustangs are great guitars if your hands aren't massive.

what specific measurements do you need? i suppose you'd need neck pocket measurements, and also for the body cavities. do you have templates?

not sure if cyclone has similar dimensions. to me they look a bit different.