preamp

westhemann

hey guys what is a great sounding proffesional preamp.i am looking for killer gain(old metallica style)with a full lead sound and great tone.i am thinking of just going to a rack system as i am tired of the limited tones i get with my stack.i have tried randall,marshall,crate,mesa boogie,and more(heads i mean)and i just can't get what i'm looking for.maybe if i run a processor through my marshall?i am an old style metal guitarist and i am just not familiar with the sound aspect.

hey guys what is a great sounding proffesional preamp.i am looking for killer gain(old metallica style)with a full lead sound and great tone.i am thinking of just going to a rack system as i am tired of the limited tones i get with my stack.i have tried randall,marshall,crate,mesa boogie,and more(heads i mean)and i just can't get what i'm looking for.maybe if i run a processor through my marshall?i am an old style metal guitarist and i am just not familiar with the sound aspect.

One word: Flextone.

LOL

Or, you could try running a floor mount processor through the effect loop of your Marshall. I used to run a Digitech into my Marshall for the longest time, until I started to want more *amp* variety, which is why I chose the Flextone. :D

~d~

so i have been looking into the flextone amps and the flextone III seems pretty cool.is this what you have?how closely does it match the amp it's modeled after?how is the gain?is it good clean and crunch?and does it have a footswitch to allow you to switch between amp models seamlessly?thanks for your input.

Guest AlexVDL

Digitech 2120 VGS!!! The gain (saturated tube) is the best one I have ever heard. It goes up to 100. I used to play with lot's of gain, but my solo sound on the digitech uses only gain 40. So I still have 60 left. If you turn it up to 100 you almost have infinity sustain :D

But I mean, the saturated tube sound is so smooth, but yet aggressive. With that sound and some equalizers (also in the digitech) I was able to create some cool sounds from Satriani's solo to Metallica to John scofield. Just try one I'd say B)