My Dean Evo Special 7 mods

Here's my guitar as she was about a month ago:

full_front.jpg

body_front.jpg

Since i got it about two years ago, i've already done a few mods:

• Schaller strap locks were installed almost immediately
  • Within a couple of months, the stock pickups were replaced with Seymour Duncan '59-7 (neck) and JB-7 (bridge)
  • The stock volume and tone controls replaced with series/parallel push-pull pots
  • The long runs of wire from the push/pull pots up to the pickup selector and back were acting like huge antennae, so all of the factory wiring was replaced with shielded wire

This summer, i've got some time off, so i'm doing a few more mods, just to continue to upgrade parts of the guitar. The first part of this new batch of mods came in just minutes ago:

new_rings.jpg

neck_ring_closeup.jpg

These are custom-made cream 7-string humbucker mounting rings, made by Dave over at Frets on the Net. I provided him with one of my stock black plastic rings to use as a template, so he now can offer custom 7-string rings in black, light cream, white, polished aluminum, polished brass, and probably even more materials.

These are beautiful pickup rings, machined from solid Delrin (not flimsy hollow-cast plastic), and they have a beautiful matte finish that feels like ivory. If you want custom-made pickup rings, Dave is the man to talk to!

Next up: I have a TonePros Tune-o-Matic 7-string bridge on the way, and the stock Grover mini-Rotomatics are getting replaced with locking Grovers. I'll probably also replace the plastic nut with a GraphTech one if i get around to buying a proper set of files.

More pics to come when the rest of the parts come in and she gets strung up again. (Hopefully on a sunny day... it's very overcast here today, which is why the colour in the latest pics is off.)