types of stains and dyes

Hi All,

I'm looking to refinish my fender lead 2 ( ash body ) and I'm looking into unconventional dyes and stains.. basicly I'm going to completely strip it then stain it a dark color to pop the grain then I want to do a see thru blue then finish with a bunch of clear.. ok now what do you guys think of these stain/dyes

1. liquid food coloring ( water based )

2. powdered food coloring

3. powdered cloth dye ( Rit )

4. liquid cloth dye ( Rit )

5. Tea

6. coffee

7. beet juice

8. carrot juice

I know these are off the beaten path but Im just wondering if any of you guys have used these things thanx in advance for all the help

May Jesus bless you all

Sincerely,

Bill :D

a few of us have used food color mixed with polycrylic. so far, my paint job hasn't faded yet. someone here also used fabric dye. search for the threads on them.

but before anyone starts nominating my post in the bad advices thread, i urge you to look to using the more accepted dyes, the ones meant for woodwork (i.e. guitar finishing). use alternative methods only for the extreme last resort.

I think you're out of your mind for trying something like that when the 'good stuff' is so easily available.

But what do I know? :D:DB)

And it's not my guitar the carrot juice is getting applied to, so what me worry? B)

'Boro la Espenada Culatto, de El Diablo cia Cosetta' B):DB):D

There is something to be said for trying something new. On the other hand, why try and re-invent the wheel.

The dyes that are used today are used for a reason. They give good vibrant colors. They last a long time. They do not react to or with the various finishes that are applied. They do not react with or to the woods to which they are applied. They are inexpensive. You can create a good number of different colors from them. There are easy to work with. They do not take a lot of time and energy to prepare.

Also, cloth and wood are different things, and I suspect that a dye for one will not work well on the other. Of course, there is a good change that I am wrong.

If you do try some of the alternative dye methods, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Guitar Ed