Question about tuning key maintenence.

I have my dad's 1963 Martin T-28 tiple and I'm going to clean it up for him, restring it, etc.

tiple2.jpg

The tuning keys are very inconsistant. Some turn very easily, others quite stiffly. My plan is to reduce the tension on the keys by tuning down, then applying a lubricant (open for suggestions) and then adjusting the screw that holds the gear in place on each tuner so they all tune w/the same resistance. There is a horrible buzz coming from them too, so I'm hoping my screw adjusting will handle that too.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Any pointers/suggestions? Oh, once I'm done w/the keys, I'll remove all the strings, clean the fretboard, then restring it w/a new set.

yeah, that's it! My dad's has solid Brazilian rosewood back and sides w/a solid spruce top. Here's some more pics of dad's and little mp3 clip I made of me messing around on it. I don't know how to play a uke, so I don't know how to play a tiple either. This just gives you an idea of the sound although these strings are a few years old.

tiple1.jpg

tiple2.jpg

tiple3.jpg

tiple4.jpg

Martin tiple mp3

I know it would be hard to replace the entire tuner strips for that guitar. In most cases, with a guitar that old, you will find that the gearing components are worn and no matter what sort of lubricant you use the worm gears and tuning gears still won't mesh exactly. However, you might be able to replace the individual components from other sets of tuning gears from normal 6-string classical tuning strips, as long as they are the same size and brand new.