Hi, from a newbie

Hi All,

I've just decided to embark on a project based on a tele. I love the feel of teles but have never got along with the control layout on them (I always seem to knock the Pickup selector switch when I'm playing). I envision a tele shaped body with controls similar to my Schecter 006 (http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprods.htm)

I've got some swamp ash ordered for the main part of the body and am going to put a nice burl maple top on it (mainly for looks).

I have a couple of questions regarding the building of the body,

1. How hard are these woods and is there anything I need to know before I start working with them?

2. I've seen teles with f-holes. What would the advantage be in adding a chamber and a soundhole?

Thanks

genbloke :D

"1. How hard are these woods and is there anything I need to know before I start working with them?

2. I've seen teles with f-holes. What would the advantage be in adding a chamber and a soundhole?

"

sorry, cant answer the first part of the first question...but anyways

you should know in theory how to build the guitar. you should have some templates of some sort, all the necessary tools, and the necessary knowledge on using the tools.

as for the f holes, and the chambers, it just adds some resonance. gives them a little more airy sound. the advantage would be a lighter weight, the disadvantage is the loss of the true tele tone.

good luck, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the replies.

My mate has a tele at the moment so i'll draw up a template from that.

Ahh!, that's it a thinline (forgot what they were called). Thanks for the lead

litchfield.

I've just found this on the net

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/fen...9_thinline.html

A sound chamber could possibly be what I'm looking for. Anyone know how deep the bodies are on these thinlines?

Genbloke

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the replies.

My mate has a tele at the moment so i'll draw up a template from that.

Ahh!, that's it a thinline (forgot what they were called).  Thanks for the lead

litchfield.

I've just found this on the net

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/fen...9_thinline.html

A sound chamber could possibly be what I'm looking for.  Anyone know how deep the bodies are on these thinlines?

Genbloke

I BELIEVE they are the same as any Tele - 1 3/4". Its just that like 1/4" (i think?) is the top, the rest would be considered the main body (so say, 1.5" of Ash hollowed out and capped with a 1/4" piece of maple)