Jump to content
Google Logins Fixed! ×

Stu.

Established Member
  • Content Count

    262
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Stu. last won the day on June 18 2019

Stu. had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

131 Excellent

About Stu.

  • Rank
    Man of Science

Profile Information

  • Location
    England

Recent Profile Visitors

1,635 profile views
  1. Today has been a mixed bag, but I'm sharing in the name of transparency. Cover rims routed down, and tops sanded flush: Untitled by S K, on Flickr Headstock partially routed from the rear: Untitled by S K, on Flickr This is when things went downhill. I switched over to the router table with a trim cutter, which was apparently getting blunt (either that, or it just didn't like the wood). There's a big chunk of tear-out at the headstock end; the current thought is to route a circle out, and then glue in a circle of the spalted beech to make this a 'feature'. Un
  2. There has been some more minor progress this afternoon. A new toy (I wanted to get a different colour, but the Triton was £10 cheaper than Vonhaus or Rutlands): Untitled by S K, on Flickr Cover edges sanded slightly to fit better. The cavity rim needs to be routed at 5mm to match: Untitled by S K, on Flickr Body edges sanded to get rid of tooling marks: Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr I need to start looking at the neck now, so I can route the neck pocket before any ser
  3. I've got 99 problems, but cavity covers ain't one. Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr
  4. But I also accidentally vacuum up my inlays, so there's the balance!
  5. It looks like the body is in motion underneath the clear, like swirling clouds on a gas giant.
  6. The weather has been pretty gross this weekend, so no chance of confusing it for Texas! Highlights include a new improv router table and a body which looks more like a body: Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr The little padauk plate is for cavity covers.
  7. Hector agrees that it's far too hot, and he said that cutting guitar bodies without a bandsaw or 2kW router is a bit of a faff: Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Lots of routing and sanding to go, but I'm feeling more positive about it now! It should look very niced when carved through. The hope is that it ends up with a slightly antique/rustic aesthetic to work with the ovangkol fingerboard
  8. The Shinto is another great tool. If it's good enough for Paul Sellers, it's good enough for us mere mortals.
  9. I don't want to derail, but I really like the Magnusson tool line! I know they're still entry level tools from Kingfisher, but they're very solid for the money; just having a nicer handle makes it feel less like a disposable tool. The 200x80mm F-clamps are only £6 and so much better than Silverline for practically the same money.
  10. You might consider taking your jacket off, whilst we'll be sweating it out in shorts It's 24ºC outside at the moment, which means the temperature in the woodworking conservatory is ~1000ºC with all windows/doors closed to stop animals escaping.
  11. Thank you, chaps! I've just had a nightmare with this body. Today was supposed to be glue-up day for the body, two tops, and accompanying veneer. Unfortunately, it's crazy hot in the UK right now and my current workspace (our conservatory) was roasting; the Titebond was going tacky VERY quickly, and then the veneer rippled with moisture before I could get the walnut on. I also managed to glue my helpful wiring channel string into the wood (thankfully now retrieved, although that means I don't have an aid to guide my wires now. Fingers crossed for when the clamps come off.
  12. I figured it would be better to start a new thread for the new Tele build. The first couple of posts were over at: As the title suggests, I'm building a Tele with padauk and some other woods; I've been sitting on the padauk since the start of my limba flying V, but not being able to travel to finish that off has kicked me into starting this. Drawing by S K, on Flickr The plan is to end up with a 24 fret, 25.5" scale Tele. The humbucker and hot rails pickup cavities will be routed tight with an offset template, and then the pickups will be direct mounted. I'll carve a big, sweep
  13. This was a good shout! There isn't enough contrast at all between the spalted beech and walnut on their own. I'm going to try fumed eucalyptus veneer between to tidy things up; it should be dark enough to give clear separation.
  14. Such an unfortunately turn of events!
  15. I have a bit of a dilemma! My original plan was to use the padauk to make a Tele, with a light wood for a cap and a thin laminate of something dark between (to carve through). I've bought and joined two tops to stack: one is walnut, and the other is spalted beech. Although I wanted the spalted beech on top, it ends up looking like a ombre guitar; having padauk, spalted beech, and then walnut gives more contrast and impact. If I choose the latter, I can also add walnut veneer to the headstock. Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on Flickr Untitled by S K, on F
×
×
  • Create New...