Trans White?

mailman

Even that thread doesn't really spell it out in any definitive detail, so I'll answer it here.

Yes, all transparent white is, is white pigment (easily available in several forms) mixed into clear lacquer as a shader coat. That's it. You can get the white pigment MANY different ways, I even got some free from my finish supplier, they just poured some white lacquer paint in a little jar and that was plenty to do 20 guitars probably, you only use a TINY TINY DAB to get the look.

You have to have your own spray equipment to do it tho, you can't buy it in a can.

You need a gun with a fine tip so you get really smooth application, no splotches at all, and you only use a little dab of white pigment, and you go real easy with it.

One pass too many and it's too opaque and you've ruined it.

You can enhance Maple grain with the standard stain black/sand back routine if you want to, clear over that, sand until completely smooth, then go ahead with your white shaded lacquer, then clear over that.

It's pretty easy if you have your own spray equipment, there's absolutely no difference between doing this and using alcohol-based dyes mixed into your lacquer as shader coats, it's the -exact- same thing, except the white isn't quite so forgiving, you have to know when to stop, when enough is enough.

The 'trick' (if you call this a trick) is to have a scrap piece of your top wood handy and whatever you're going to do to your top, you do to the scrap piece too. If you're going to stain/sand back, then you do it -exactly- like that to the scrap piece first. You clear coat and sand the scrap piece exactly like you'd do the real thing, no changes or alterations if you want it to go right for you.

The trick is to get -just- the correct amount of white mixed in to be able to get your look in about 2-3 passes. Too little white, too many passes, too many chances of runs or something else happening. Too much white, it gets too opaque too fast.

So you have to have your scrap piece to do a few passes on to find out when you've got the mix just right to get your look in 2-3 passes.

That's it.

If you think you're going to just plop a plop of white in your gun, mix it up and go for it, then you deserve what you get, which will be a lot of sanding the finish off and starting -all- over again. :D

hah, dont worry, ill be taking it to a pro airbrush guy. ive just never got a definitive answer as to the existance of trans-white before. all the guitar forums ive asked showd me pics of just really light natural guitars or "white washed", but no trans white

Edited by mailman

the white washed ive seen look just that, a whited wood

this esp though is just what ive been dreaming of (finish wise) aeforest-gt.jpg

I got something similar on a test piece of wood simply by forgetting to use primer first...and I put down at least two coats (using a vintage white/ivory in a rattle can) maybe more, and the thing remained fairly see-through.

This was a piece of pine though, maybe that had something to do with. It was grainfilled but no sealer, though I don't think that matters. You'd definitely amplify the grain by staining it black and sanding it back.

I did that once using pickling white stain. I just rubbed it on and wiped it off. The more I put on the less transparency the finish had. my only problem with it was I used it on mahogany and it ended up looking pink because of the mahogany. I think it would work better on a piece of ash or maple since you wouldn't have that reddish wood color trying to get through.

I picked the can of stain up at Home Depot for about $3. It's called "Pickling White" and it used to be all the rage on kitchen cupboards.

just thinking out loud....

how about getting a piece of ash stain it all black then sand off only leaving the pores filled with black, then painint a pure opaque white?

how cool would that look?

thats what I'm gonna do. Only I will do some real light (barley there) trans blue in the center.

BP, I'm not trying to be rude, but I think that's terrible advice to give to someone asking about the proper way to achieve a straight-ahead trans-white finish.

That's as granny-grams homemade as Litch's home made food coloring dyes were.

I mean, that's cool if it worked for you, but I would never offer something like that up for someone else to try, it is leading them away from the real and proper way to do it.

"just thinking out loud....

how about getting a piece of ash stain it all black then sand off only leaving the pores filled with black, then painint a pure opaque white?

how cool would that look?"

Derek, that's -EXACTLY- what I already posted, there's no need to wonder aloud about it. If you think staining Maple and Ash is in some way different, then you don't know as much as I thought you knew about finishing, it's the same damn thing.

Read the post. Slowly maybe? The directions are right there in front of you.

And the pic mailman posted looks to me to be exactly that already...and you're staring right at it and (I guess) read my post and you're acting like you just came up with some wild ass idea when it's staring you right in the face and explained out for you in detail...***??? Do you people really live on the same planet I do? :D:DB)

It's like you're acting like white is some completely different animal than any other color out there and a whole new set of procedures needs to be made up for it (simply because YOU aren't familiar with it) when in fact there is absolutely no difference at all, it's the same damn thing as using alcohol-based dye in your lacquer, and it's been done for over 30 years already, it ain't no new thing, it's just new to you apparently.

Drak, no rudeness taken here.....

I wasn't offering it up for him to do, I simply stated "I did that once using xyz".

There are some big differences in what I did and what litch did as you inferred.

1. I used a product made for wood, not cupcakes. It was a solvent based stain designed and sold for use on wood. (solvent + pigment which is pretty much what you spray. In fact the label says you can spray it.....)

2. I did not write a 3 page tutorial saying this is THE way to do this. I did not include 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.....(ok, name the artist now)

3. I am not and never have claimed to be an expert on this forum....

4. My name is bluespresence, not blues custom guitars so there is no inference of any sort that I build and sell custom built guitars such as litch did. Well, I do sell them but not the ones I build....I think you know what I mean.

Now, can't we all just get along??? :D

BTW......granny-grams....I kind of like that! It sounds like grandma's stash.

Christ I CAN be a grouchy old ass-scratchin geezer, eh?

I was reading the post back today and even -I- think it sounds like some old grump!

I mean, I still agree with what I said, but I could have said it a lot differently I think.

I shall post no later than 8:00 pm from now on.

This is freakin' me out.

Getting old sucks! :DB):D

PS, cupcakes...Yummmm!

Litchfield's Custom Cupcakes! :D

This is freakin' me out.

Getting old sucks!   

PS, cupcakes...Yummmm!

Litchfield's Custom Cupcakes! 

I guess that the food color brought back memories hidden well inside your brain and your fingers did the talking there!!!

Cupcakes :D

This is freakin' me out.

Getting old sucks!

I was just going to tell you to shut up and get a cup of coffee but I thought I'd be nice :D I switched to decaf after my surgery last month and I stay grumpy 'til noon now........yipee!

PS: I figured you'd be the one to answer the "artist" question on #2.....(8x10 color glossy photos).......you ARE old if you know the answer to that one!!

Here's another hint...."you can get anything you want".......