swapping pickups

hezochiah

Is it difficult to go from passive pickups to EMGs. I am thinking putting some into my Hamer Stellar. I figure I can at least update that guitar instead of buying a brand new one. Just wanted to see if I could get some input from you guys on that... Thanks

It is fairly easy as long as you follow the directions they supply. The biggest thing to worry about is the actual size of the pickups verse's the cavity in your guitars body.

Soon as Wes finds this post he'll tell you more I've only done 3 installs and had to modify the body on a 7 string since the cavitys were to short from side to side, but the standard size humbuckers were easy.

Good to know... It's just a cheap Korean made import, but it sounds great. I just figured for the time being I could upgrade some of the components on it. I may even put a tone pros bridge and tailpiece on it along with a better nut and locking tuners but for now I figured I would start with the pickups.

Is it difficult to go from passive pickups to EMGs. I am thinking putting some into my Hamer Stellar. I figure I can at least update that guitar instead of buying a brand new one. Just wanted to see if I could get some input from you guys on that... Thanks

it's very simple the emg humbuckers fit in perfectly and all the electronics you need plus wiring diagrams come with the pickups.use everything they send you because the pots and other electronics are all different fron passive.and don't be confused when they tell you not to ground the bridge because it really is not necessary.be sure when you put the battery in the cavity that you wrap it in some of the foam rubber that the pickups come in and wrap electric tape around that.seal it good you don't want the metal casing of the battery to cause any unwanted contact.and the batteries last for over a year(or 3000 hrs)so it's not the pain in the ass some people think.just be sure to unplug the patch cable from your guitar every time you are finished playing because that is what turns the pickups off and keeps your battery from draining while you are not playing.it's not a 7 string is it cause like brian said they are a different size?

Thanks for the great info. :D It is a six string so it should be easy. I think I'm going to get the ZW set that comes with an 81 and an 85. I'm glad you told me about the battery life, because that was one of the things I was wondering about. Thanks again

Well, I was going to start with the EMGs but I just found a tonepros set on ebay for import models and grabbed it. It was $45 so I figured what the hell, I may as well get it now. Just thought I would share that with you guys :D

Well, I was going to start with the EMGs but I just found a tonepros set on ebay for import models and grabbed it. It was $45 so I figured what the hell, I may as well get it now. Just thought I would share that with you guys :D

the tonepros bridges are great.i have em on my omen and i have one for my v when i get it done

Yeah, I heard they really make the guitar sound better and increase sustain. Like I said it's a Korean made Hamer, but sounds really good. It's got a mahogany body and I think a silky oak top. I can't find any info on the guitar on the Hamer website, but I think that's the materials. Anyway, I think the upgrades will make it one hell of a guitar. :D