4 Single Coil Pups = 2 Humbuckers?

sjaguar13

Yes you can do this. And you can wire them in series or in parallel.

You have to reverse the phase of one pickup, and flip the magnets to get a true humbucker though. In my Fender single-coils there are 6 individual magnets that can be tapped out and flipped over. I assume yours are like that too. It's a simple job to do.

have you had problems with tapping the magnets and weakening them. i remember a while back on the boards(mid 90's) people proclaimed great improvment by whacking your pickups magnets to "age them"

the theory was that when you hit the magnets you align the electrons(?) and reduce the magnetic field to make it sound more "vintage". never tried none of my guitars sounded bad enough to start whacking the pups with a ball ping.

just wondering. :D

have you had problems with tapping the magnets and weakening them. i remember a while back on the boards(mid 90's) people proclaimed great improvment by whacking your pickups magnets to "age them"

the theory was that when you hit the magnets you align the electrons(?) and reduce the magnetic field to make it sound more "vintage". never tried none of my guitars sounded bad enough to start whacking the pups with a ball ping.

just wondering.  :D

Close. What's supposed to happen is that when you strike a ferromagnetic material, you align the orbits of the electrons, thus creating a net magnetic field. The same effect happens when you bang two hammers together, head-to-head. Do that enough times, and you'll magnetize the hammer heads.

Sorry guys, I'm a solid state physicist. B)

Anyway, I can just press the pole piece out with a screw driver. I've never had to whack them.