Radiused Nut Slot?

Hey Guys,

Ive floated around here a few times getting some great advice from you pros.......

I recently replaced a mighty mite nut for a graph tech nut...problem is that its still too high...so iItook it out to file it but realized its a radiused neck....I went and got the old nut and saw that the bottom was flat, but it doesnt seem to make sense...wouldnt a radiused neck have a radiused nut slot?? If it is that means I would have to take the center block out of the graph tech nut....

Its a mighty mite neck and is radiused from 9.5-12....

SO is it radiused or not???

Hold on a sec..

Did you take out the old nut already or not? What was the bottom like?

And then with the remaining slot (assuming you took out the old one), is it flat or not?

:D

Confused.

Right off the bat, I don't mean to insult you, but clearly you are not capable of replacing the nut.

If you cant tell between a flat and radiused nut slot, or that your new nut is too high and dont know what to do about it, then filing the string slots is going to go VERY badly, and you should pay a competent tech to replace the nut for you.

Not trying to sound like a personal attack, Just my honest opionion.

See if a little straight-edge rocks in the nut slot. And if it is radiused, it doesn't always mean the radius at the bottom of the nut-slot is the same radius as the fret-board. I had a Fender neck here recently that had a 7.25" board radius, but the bottom of the nut-slot was a 12" radius. Seems like if the factory used a flat nut on your neck, it should be a flat slot.

And be warned, if you have a radius mis-match with the nut bottom and slot, it's easy to end up with the nut snapping apart along a string slot, when you press it down to the bottom of the slot.

One good thing about making your own nuts, is that you can use various scrap materials to practice with, before finally doing it to a blank you payed several dollars for. They are very easy to screw up. I blew 6 last year, and 3 this year, so far, and I've been making them for almost 20 years.

Soapy.

Fender nut and fret slots are done on the same machine which produces the same radius of the slots everytime regardless of the fretboard radius. A 12",9.5",7.5" whatever fretboard radius all still have the same nut slot radius Because the 25.5 scale necks are slotted by the same machine with the same setup regardless of the final fretboard radius.

They have 3 of these machines.... 25.5", 34" and I dunno if the 3rd is for baritone or 24.75" all others are cut on a CNC for the particular scale such as "ministrat" shortscale.

Just an FYI....

Soapy.

Fender nut and fret slots are done on the same machine which produces the same radius of the slots everytime regardless of the fretboard radius. A 12",9.5",7.5" whatever fretboard radius all still have the same nut slot radius Because the 25.5 scale necks are slotted by the same machine with the same setup regardless of the final fretboard radius.

They have 3 of these machines.... 25.5", 34" and I dunno if the 3rd is for baritone or 24.75" all others are cut on a CNC for the particular scale such as "ministrat" shortscale.

Just an FYI....

Wrong. They don't always have the same radius. Work on enough of them, and you'll see. Maybe *currently* they do it just as you stated.