"epiactives"

GregP

http://www.epiphone.com/Doctor/epiactive.html

As far as I can tell, they're passive pickups with the preamp moved onto the pickup housing itself, and MAYBE with some additional voicing via EQ... maybe....

There are active electronics on-board. I guess that makes them "active pickups". But the technology doesn't seem as interesting when done this way, compared to EMG who actually have different (fewer, at least) coil windings. If I wanted to go this route (the core technology-- passive pickup with a preamp), I'd get passive pickups that I really liked, and add a separate preamp and/or EQ.

The name is also bad... if they want to sell these aftermarket (hard to say, maybe they're just going to be for certain models like their Epiphone version of the Zakk Wylde LPs) they needed a much better name than this. They could have even been sneaky and called them "EPA" with 3 letters in the bottom corner. :D

Greg

Eew. Why are a lot of major manufacturers jumping on the EMG bandwagon? It's funny, because I'm jumping OFF the bandwagon, I really need to replace my 81/60 set.

I agree with doing the same setup yourself, Greg. I'm thinking that you could get a much better sound out of pickups you like with the added EQ. Not to slight Epi's pickup potential, but their name doesn't generally jump out at me when I think of good pickup brands :D

Eew. Why are a lot of major manufacturers jumping on the EMG bandwagon? It's funny, because I'm jumping OFF the bandwagon, I really need to replace my 81/60 set.

I agree with doing the same setup yourself, Greg. I'm thinking that you could get a much better sound out of pickups you like with the added EQ. Not to slight Epi's pickup potential, but their name doesn't generally jump out at me when I think of good pickup brands :D

ill take that 81 60 combo. need a set right away :D

ill take that 81 60 combo. need a set right away B)

I would :D but I've got nothing to replace them with, and I just spent my last paycheck at Warmoth...

My plan is to finish building the V, put different pickups in it, and if they sound better with my setup than the EMGs, scrap the EMG set and get another set of the same pickups. I don't honestly know how long that's going to be, maybe winter break at the earliest. I'll track you down if you're still in need of a set by then. It's just a matter of fitting some build time into my schedule.