"eagle" Double Cutaway

Hi,

I've been working on this build for a while and thought I'd share some pics.

Specs so far:

Body: chambered blackwood with bookmatched fiddleback blackwood top

Neck: laminated blackwood and rock maple

Fretboard: striped ebony with gold MOP inlay 25inch scale length

The chambered body

P1090016.jpg

The body with the top glued on

P3020047.jpg

Gluing the binding on

P3290236.jpg

P3300241.jpg

The neck blank and slotted fretboard

P1090015.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Cam,

I got the body and neck timber from anagotte timbers in Marrickville (Sydney) the top I got from Australian tonewoods (WA). The fretboard I got from Gillet guitars in Botany (Sydney).

Some pics of the fretboard inlay progress. The fretboard markers are all different profiles of a wedge-tailed eagle in flight

202-02.jpg

202-07.jpg

202-08.jpg

202-09.jpg

Cheers,

peter

Davo, I am planning on finishing this one with colortone water based laquer. i have used it before and it works a treat!

Cam, Blackwood is pretty good wieght wise. Sorry. I don't have a scale suitable to weigh it. This is quite light with it chambered. Will be a very comfortable to play. Even without chambering blackwood makes for a moderatly weighted guitar.

More pics. Pictured below shaping the back with a thumb plane, and the fitted control cavity cover.

202-18.jpg

202-19.jpg

202-20.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Cam,

Getting the grain to line up is just a matter of trial and error. i find a piece of offcut that I think is a good match, then cut it out with a generous overhang so i can see where the grain matches up at the edges of the cover. Once I am happy I then stick the template on, and rout with my fingers crossed. i generally spend more time lining everything up than I do actually cutting and routing. A little effort that goes a long way I think. It also helps if you use a pick cut from the same piece as the body. PM me if you still want the price.

Cheers,

Peter

im going to do a cheapish but good quality first build just to build up my skills a bit, although I can use all of the tools :D

But for my good one i'm planning, i wanted a Tasmanian Blackwood body & Neck, with a Master Grade tassie blackwood top from Aus Tonewoods and a rosewood fretboard. I've just been looking at australian timber websites since i don't have a lumber yard or anything around me.

(for the cheaper first build its going to have a maple neck for ease of carving and just getting used to carving a neck)

Sorry if i hijacked your thread :D

Thanks again for the positive feedback Kenny and Chops. Cam, that sounds like a great idea for a build. I can say from past experience that blackwood is a top coice for timbers in terms of sound and weight. If you are looking for a cheap alternative for timber, then consider New Guineau Rosewood works very well. Works nicely and looks good too. Here is a neck and fingerboard I am working on (another build) made from new guinea rosewood. The timber for the neck and fretboard worked out at $20Au. And a body only costs around $60Au

402-10.jpg

402-11.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

yeah i was tempted to get a new guinea rosewood neck blank off ebay for like $10. It looked nice too, but i missed it.

That neck looks really nice too.

Where are you getting your wood from? I can get wood that cheap over the internet in Australia but then you have to add on all the shipping costs etc.