Local Woods, Whats Good For Fretboard?

hey guys!

asking for your advices again...

We manage to make an ibby neck reverse headstock just like what I was wanting on my other thread so instead of ripping my ibby neck into pieces

he made a new neck for me made of mahogany (I left him the neck to have a copy) and he is asking me what wood to placed in the fingerboard.

well theres no rosewood, ebony, etc here in and ordering online will $$.

in our local we only have:

1. mahogany

2. jack fruit

3. molave

4. narra

5. spruce woods.

incase you are wondering why I would want a new fretboard coz I dont want inlays and I dont want to rip again the inlays on my ibby.

so which of these woods is good for fretboard? if you say none then ill be forced to order online wich will cost $$$$...

im asking you guys coz my friend is not good in making electric guitars coz he only makes acoustic and electric/acoustic differs in wood sustain?

oh by the way we have rosewood but in plywood size and thickness and shipping cost is painful :D.

Edited by jcbakz

Most of those woods are unsuited.

Not being able to find tangible information; the Jack Fruit seems the most promising (or lakuch) as it it similar to teak. But I have never seen half of those woods up close. maybe if you put in a location in your profile someone has a supplier close by that does not cost big money or will sell you a spare board.

Then again if you destroy your ibby with crap wood is the money savings really worth it??

Not being able to find tangible information; the Jack Fruit seems the most promising (or lakuch) as it it similar to teak. But I have never seen half of those woods up close. maybe if you put in a location in your profile someone has a supplier close by that does not cost big money or will sell you a spare board.

Then again if you destroy your ibby with crap wood is the money savings really worth it??

well not having a good info on these woods its not going to worth it :D

country is Philippines by the way.

I found someone selling rosewood and maple costs $50 without the shipping and only 3mm and 5mm thick. the 5mm is $90 :D

board is 4feet by 6feet.

how thick should the fretboard be?

I guess ill have to gamble on the price...

well not having a good info on these woods its not going to worth it :D

I found someone selling rosewood and maple costs $50 without the shipping and only 3mm and 5mm thick. the 5mm is $90 :D

board is 4feet by 6feet.

I guess ill have to gamble on the price...

4 x 6ft seems out of place for such a thin board or rosewood species, 4 inches would be closer to reality x 6 ft. I would be skeptical of the offering unless you converted the measurements wrong.. You could work with a 5mm thick boardas long as it isnt warped. Most production guitars are similar in thickness

I'm pretty sure that there will be some local spieces that are suitable. The wood need to be stable, strong and able to get a good grip on the fret tang bards. If not the fret will get loose in the slot. If the fretboard is going to be unfinished look for a wood with high content of oils and natural resins. That way it will withstand the abuse from finger wear and dirt and oil from your skin.

I can say right away that both mahogany and Spruce is not suitable. According to Wiki, the soft wood of the jack fruit would be unsuitable. The heartwood might work, but I have insufficient info on that one. According to this:

http://windsorplywood.com/tropical_woods/molave.html

Molave heartwood might work, but I have never worked with it so I cannot really say anything...

According to wiki narra is the same as padouk and related to rosewood and would be my first choice among the woods mentioned. As your fried if he could try to make a fretboard out of that wood and if he is an experienced builder he will be able to tell if it is suitable.

Also: As mentioned, fretboards for acoustic guitars is as suitable for an electric guitar.

I wouldn't use a fretboard that is thinner than 6.3 mm (1/4")

ok guys thanks a lot on your inputs. But as far as I have searched the only available rosewood here is the 3mm :D

but since there will be much left when I cut a piece of the rosewood board (4feet by 6feet) for a fretboard is it okay that

I will cut 3 pieces at a fretboard size and glue the 3 pieces to make it 9mm (3mm x 3 pieces)?

of course it will be sanded off and hoping to get that 1/4" thickness or more of the board.