Combo+cab Connection

fridge

Hello everyone long time no post. I was asked a question earlier today and started thinking what would happen my self. The question was what would happen if you were to plug a combo amp, with no built in speaker output, to a cab? More specificly it was a line 6 spider III 120 watt into a randall 2x12 made to handle 160watts.

Now the line 6 does not have a speaker out but does have a line out for recording or headphones. Could this work (saftley!) as opposed to having to add your own line out? Or would your amp and/or cab get fried?

Specifically, the line 6 spider amps are digital signal processing amps - they usually drive flat-response speakers, to avoid the speakers colouring the sound. Running this through a Randall cab may colour the sound a little...

never thought about that, but i guess thats why the digital amps are good for low volume.

Specifically, the line 6 spider amps are digital signal processing amps - they usually drive flat-response speakers, to avoid the speakers colouring the sound. Running this through a Randall cab may colour the sound a little...

never thought about that, but i guess thats why the digital amps are good for low volume.

I think its more the comparison with valve amps sounding not so good at low volumes.

From line6.com:

Do I need to plug it into Line 6 cabs? What kinds of cabinets work with it? What sounds good with it?

The HD147 is tuned to work with our Line 6 cabinets, which are loaded with custom Celestion® speakers, or most standard cabinets loaded with Celestion® V30s or T75s. Keep in mind though that the HD147 will work fine and potentially sound amazing with just about any cab.

It would be bad for business to design a head that only sounds good with the matching cab, digital modeling or otherwise.

So why would you redesign the combos for that reason?

It would be bad for business to design a head that only sounds good with the matching cab, digital modeling or otherwise.

So why would you redesign the combos for that reason?

Marshal designs a few that only sound good with one cabinet.Specifically I once bought a digital compact head and plugged it into my 4 by 12 crate cab only to find the head was voiced for the extremely bassy compact 4 by 12 cab it was made for.It was meant to be smaller for transport...with my crate cab the head was too trebley by far...I ended up selling the head and getting another.

The spider amp I had a few years ago had a horrible little speaker in it..not a celestion.The HD is a much better amp than the spider series.it is a more professional amp..the line 6 is a bedroom practice series,as far as I can tell.

Alot of amp heads are voiced to sound "best" with a particular cab.Mesa Rectifier comes to mind.

I think its more the comparison with valve amps sounding not so good at low volumes.

yeah better way of saying what i ment lol