Questions Regarding Jackson KV and/or RRV Style Build

medic82

Quick question:

Planning a V build. I currently have a Jackson King V. The standard body thickness for the KV is 1 7/8". I am planning either a KV and/or RRV style build with neck-thru construction and 24 frets. I would like build with a thinner body; somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 5/8" to 1 3/4". Are there any complications I should expect if I go this route?

Planning on equipping with EMGs with volume and tone controls for each pup (via stacked consentric pots) and EMGs onboard 20dB variable gain boost. The reason for the stacked concentric pots is to limit my number of pots to 3, rather that trying to fit 5 pots on it. I'm also planning on putting either a recessed Shaller Lockmeister Trem or ABM Katana Trem on it.

If I I used the 37mm (?) sustain block, will it fit without any issues? Any other issues?

Any input is appreciated! This (or these) will be my first builds.

Depending on your which type of installation you're going to perform with the locking trem you may need a shorter sustain block. Last Floyd I installed on a 42mm body was for a fully-floating bridge (ie, can raise or lower the Floyd) with the base plate adjusted flush to the face of the guitar. With the 37mm sustain block I had on mine there wasn't enough clearance at the back of the body to allow the sustain block to swing backwards when raising the trem arm without it bottoming out on the trem cavity cover. You can either get a 32mm sustain block, or do what I did and cut off 5mm from the 37mm block with a hacksaw, file the cut smooth and redrill the spring securing holes an extra 5mm deeper.

If you're going for a dive-only installation of the trem you should be fine with the 37mm block.

It's been a few months since I took the measurements killemall, so I definitely could have miss-remembered. Thanks for the feedback! I've been thinking about extending the wings just a little, and so was hoping to reduce the thickness to keep the guitar balanced.

Curtisa, I was definitely wanting to install the trem to free float. Thanks for the heads up!