Nitrocellulose Lacquer in Australia

Crusader

About ten years ago I bought Nitrocellulose Lacquer in Perth made by Becker Acroma. But now the supplier only sells something they describe as being "partly Nitro" So before going ahead with that I wanted to find out if I can still get proper Nitro. I did a search and a ring-around and came up with these brands: Valspar, Hi-Chem, Behlen and Durabond

But there was some confusion and It occurs to me manufacturers might be calling a product Nitro when its actually only partly Nitro or has similar qualities to it. Does anyone know?

Thanks Scott, since posting the question I've done a ton of Googling and it seems the only way you can get Behlen or any other Nitro in Australia is in a spray can. It can't be shipped by air or outside the USA. The supplier where I got the Becker Acroma said they now sell "pre-catalyzed Nitro" and this seems to be the case for all other brands

Since it is so flammable there has obviously been a law passed that it can no longer be shipped by air and has to be made locally

Mirotone and Durobond are made in Australia but there isn't much info on their websites. I have contacted them and will see what they say hopefully tomorrow

What I'm thinking is if it's pre-catalysed, wouldn't that reduce it's shelf-life?

Thanks for that Norris, yes there was one place I rang here in Perth "Paint Place" that has it in spray cans too but I've never had much success with spraying that way. You get close to the end of the can and it sputters etc.

I got a reply from Durobond today and it seems the go, proper Nitro. Some people use Mirocat 3220 but I'm not sure if it is Nitro or if it just sprays on the same

On 25/08/2017 at 3:53 PM, Norris said:

That place in Sydney seems to do spray cans and (my link above) 1 litre tins for use in spray guns

Wow kind-a pricey....but then I noticed "1960's" formula, which might make it worth it. I've just been reading all about this. The formula for Nitro has changed over the years and some are now a blend of Poly and or Acrylic and plasticisers and what have you. And the latest trend is toward Pre-catalysed lacquer which as I suspected, shortens shelf-life

One story I read a guy says he is still using Nitro that is 20 years old. I don't think that applies to the stuff I was using today. I think it might be about 5 years old. It sprayed on okay for about 3 or 4 passes then blocked up. I cleaned the nozzle out then continued, and repeated this process until I decided to quit while I was behind

(Luckily I'm not looking for a supa-dupa finish on this one as it is more of an experimental project) The back and neck aren't too bad but the front is a problem for another day. I started thinning out the lacquer hoping to get a better spray but did not work at all. The gun blocked up just as much or even worse. And because it was thinned so much it ran like an olympic sprinter

IMG_1960.JPG

Also thought I'd mention on eBay there is a place that has some Behlen in 1 Quart tins and another that has a 1 Gallon drum of Mohawk. But by the looks of it once they are sold there won't be any more as it can't be shipped outside the USA, and what I'm looking for is something that can be bought again in the future

On 23/08/2017 at 9:40 PM, ScottR said:

... Behlen makes nitrocellulose lacquer for stringed instruments and I've used it 4 or 5 times. It's good stuff

I decided on a gallon of Mohawk as they say it is the same stuff as Behlen and according to specs has quite a long shelf-life. I haven't asked anyone but it seems this stuff is available in Australia, perhaps they are allowed to ship it ..... by ship ... (LOL)