Telecaster neck pocket.

ShatnersBassoon

Maybe true, but I'd personally want my neck pockets to be tight enough to cover the situation where I'm using thin coatings such as danish oil. You can tighten up a neck pocket template slightly by lining the edges with tape before routing.

When you say 'bottom part' are you referring to the edge that backs on to the neck pickup, of the edge that is adjacent to the treble-side cutaway?

On 9/11/2018 at 11:31 PM, curtisa said:

Maybe true, but I'd personally want my neck pockets to be tight enough to cover the situation where I'm using thin coatings such as danish oil. You can tighten up a neck pocket template slightly by lining the edges with tape before routing.

When you say 'bottom part' are you referring to the edge that backs on to the neck pickup, of the edge that is adjacent to the treble-side cutaway?

Just saw your reply, cheers. Here’s a photo...treble side cutaway, that is correct. I’m a bit sceptical really.... 

1. Surely wood is more likely to shrink than expand? I ran in to that problem with the LP build.

2. The neck pocket is generally not painted or varnished right?

3. Surely it’s better for the neck pocket to be too small? There’s no guarantee that the wood will ‘swell’. If it doesn’t then you are left with the gap.

Anyway here it is. That centre line does line up by the way, it’s just how I am holding the neck.

040D8A5C-BC56-4A84-9875-77F3E3976542.jpeg

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

A bit too loose for my liking. Assuming the centreline marks are correct, it looks like all the slop is asymmetrical which doesn't help things either.

IME the wood never expands much on application of a finish. There may be finish build-up on the pocket edges and neck sides which can cause the dimensions the snug up a bit tighter, but not by what looks to be 1.5mm - 2mm in your photo, and certainly it shouldn't be relied upon to fill the gap by an exact and consistent amount.

If it were me I'd make a specific pocket template to match the neck. I'm always recommending this link, but I think it should be the preferred way of doing neck pockets over relying on the all-in-one template kits. Universal, adjustable, cheap and you're not locked down to any particular scale length, neck width or taper amount.

Just as I thought! Asymmetrical slop; if it was to account for expansion you would think that the oversize would be on the bass side too and not to such an extent, just like you say. The neck pocket fit is pretty crucial for me, not just in terms of functionality and sound, but in aesthetics too. Anyway thanks, I will use the template for the other elements. I will read the guide thoroughly! 👍

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

• 3 weeks later...