Mandorla Margaret

Hi all...

I've never really bothered with sketching a design in photoshop before building something but enough people here have done so (with excellent results) that I decided to have a go. Here's the next project on my agenda, whom I've already decided will be named Margaret...

360743394_MandorlaMargaretR1smallwinlays.jpg.63d03b2d3aa8dbf40f3e1e92e984cd72.jpg

Similar shape to the Office-Furniture-Caster from my last post, though slightly stretched at the rear and with an extra horn on the bottom cutaway because I decided I didn't like the straight line.

Rosewood tele neck with maple headstock (though I might just re-use the neck from aforementioned DeskCaster if it looks like it will work aesthetically).

Dual GFS lipbuckers in SG-style wiring,

All black hardware and controls (except for gold saddles on the bridge, said bridge is hanging on a hook above my monitor right now and looks excellent)

Even though it took more time than I was expecting, I'm glad I did this... first because I've been neglecting knob placement in favor of concentrating on how I want the pots to fit (with the result that I played around with this orientation until it looked acceptable from the top and bottom) and also because it made me realize I have no idea what I want to do with that pickguard. Leaving it off isn't an option and painting it black just looks unsightly with that carrera (sp?) marble finish I'm going to attempt. Right now i'm just thinking I'll use a thin piece of birch tinted to match the headstock, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. 

The body blank is sitting next to my chair (douglas fir because there's no way I'm using "real" tone wood at this stage of innocence and experience) and hopefully we'll cut and rout it next week. 

Cheers.

Edited by thaumgarrett

14 hours ago, mistermikev said:

interesting build.  afa pickguard... possibilities are endless: something that matches the headstock is nice.  I def see a 1980's peavey influence in the headstock no?  aka nitro series?  Anywho, reminds me of that.  Looks like fun.

Actually I'm not sure. I used the XGP headstock because I was expecting to use an XGP tele neck (top). But now that you mention it, that shape does look a lot like what they put on some of the Nitro III's (middle). In any event, they're both wrong because I just pulled the actual neck out of the box and it turns out I wasn't correctly remembering what I had on hand - it's GFS not XGP and has this mildly aggressive concave shape to it (bottom).

headstocks.jpg.0b6cd312ec2aa2da6bae4d899a7feb3c.jpg

Incidentally mistermikev, when I said "some people" had posted good photoshop mockups, I was thinking specifically of your Delta Cloud. That thread was a joy to follow. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaumgarrett said:

Actually I'm not sure. I used the XGP headstock because I was expecting to use an XGP tele neck (top). But now that you mention it, that shape does look a lot like what they put on some of the Nitro III's (middle). In any event, they're both wrong because I just pulled the actual neck out of the box and it turns out I wasn't correctly remembering what I had on hand - it's GFS not XGP and has this mildly aggressive concave shape to it (bottom).

headstocks.jpg.0b6cd312ec2aa2da6bae4d899a7feb3c.jpg

Incidentally mistermikev, when I said "some people" had posted good photoshop mockups, I was thinking specifically of your Delta Cloud. That thread was a joy to follow. Thanks for sharing!

haha, flattery will get you everywhere!  Seriously tho, thank you, that's very kind.  I think I like doing mockups/pseudo-design more than anything else.  I've got about 30 virtual builds that I toy with constantly (was toying with one now) and last night I setup a prs singlecut.  You know what they say... artists: first they imitate, then they create.  I feel like I'm learning a lot anyway.

ok so now the second headstock reminds me of an early cort/mighty-mite which is also very similar to suhr.

http://www.cortguitars.com/uk/product/product_view.asp?qCate=&qSeries=0&qProdTag=&qPack=&qNew=&qKey=all&qWord=&idx=910

I love/loved those nitro series.  almost bought a pink nitro for my first good guitar - luckily my parents talked me out of it!(pink)