headstock angle

i have two inches to work with for my headstock. i dont want to have to do a splice. whats the smallest angle i can get away with and not have to use string trees? also has anyone done a jackson or superstrat style headstock in a straight fender style version, string trees or no string trees? im a big fan of 80s guitars and i want this one to look as old school as i can get it without having to track down a kahler on ebay.

The smallest angle with no string tree will also depend on where your tuners are positioned. If you won't have straight string pull then you want more angle to be sure the strings stay in their slots. If you're using a Floyd Rose locking nut you'll need even more angle, or a string tree unless you want the strings to all pull sharp when you lock the blocks. I think you're coming at it from the wrong "angle" B)

I would be trying to see what the maximum headstock angle I could get from that blank was. I believe angle is good, and has no real drawbacks.

Wait, did you say 80's guitars and Kahlers were old school? :D

Why, I remember when........

agreed, try and get the biggest angle out of the block. The angle will depend on how long the head stock is but i would say you might be able to squeeze anywhere from a 13 to a 10 degree tilt back.

I think you may have something backwards though, the less of an angle you have the MORE there is a need for string tree's.

well tomorrow ill measure with a protractor and see if i can get away with a good enough angle, if you reckon its around ten then i guess im close enough. im not sure if the fact thats its a seven string jackson style is going to take or add to that angle. but im gonna go ahead and draw the shape and form on the side of the block to see what i have, but at the moment it doesnt look like ill get away with the length and angle in tact.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey meeg, i'm in the same position, i'm building a replacement neck for my jackson PS2 (along with doing a whole load of other stuff to it!) I will measure my jackson neck and work out the geometry a bit later on today, when i do i'll post it on here for you. I think the higher the angle the better to be honest, surely more downward pressure is a good thing! Though if you are worried about it don't some locking nuts come with a bar that sits just behind the nut? This would look pretty old school and could be used to apply the downward pressure without any neck angle?

Let me know what you think.