Old hard drives...

Southpa

I don't know what you guys do with your old computer hardware but I found a good use for some parts. I took apart my old 1G Fujitsu hard drive and found some extremely strong magnets. They will prove useful the next time I need to clamp bracing, bridging etc. on an acoustic top. Just in fun I handed the two magnets separately to my neighbor. He didn't know what they were. Boy, was he surprised when they "snapped" together and nipped his fingers! And it takes quite a lot of effort to pull them apart. I was wondering if you could fashion a "super pickup" with these magnets. But they would probably suck the strings onto the pickups, :D .

• 2 weeks later...
hmmm...with magnets like that, I bet you could put them through the back of the guitar, and have them pickup the strings, with a good 2 inches of wood between them...Hmmm maybe a pickup-less look.

Mmm. Do I smell a patent? :D

Unfortunately not anymore B) now that he's made the idea public domain it can't be patented :D! this is why you never tell your idea's in public if you truly want to bring them to fruition.

hmmm...with magnets like that, I bet you could put them through the back of the guitar, and have them pickup the strings, with a good 2 inches of wood between them...Hmmm maybe a pickup-less look.

Mmm. Do I smell a patent? :D

Unfortunately not anymore B) now that he's made the idea public domain it can't be patented :D! this is why you never tell your idea's in public if you truly want to bring them to fruition.

well...with a little post editing..... :D

how big are these HD magnets ? I wonder if I could inlay them into a small sanding block, then have that sanding block inside an acoustic body under the top, then move another magnet outside the top to make the sanding block go back and forth, to sand a crack repair.

I do that to clean fish tanks....the big ones at least

It'd be neat to have the PU loaded from the back with the location marked by inlay