Grizzly Industrial / Harbor Freight

lucky1

Hi Lucky1. I have bought a fair amount of stuff from Grizzly. I visited their store in Springfield, Missouri when my son went to school there. I don't know about the bits you bought but I have used this bit from Grizzly for some time now and it has been very good. pattern cutting bit

I also have their combination sander and it is a first rate piece of equipment. sander

The sander so far is very capable. It comes complete with the stand, which is very sturdy. I've used the belt sander on necks and bodies and it can remove a lot of stock quickly (got to watch it). It will slow down if I put too much downward force, but I've found that when I do that I just need to put the right grit belt on and let the machine do the work. Once I figured that out, it works great. It has dust ports for both the belt and the disc. Grizzly has good prices, but don't forget the shipping which on a machine like this can add up. The 48" belt is long enough to put a neck blank on full length. A body blank is a little harder to deal with since the housing for the disc sander gets in the way, but it can be used before planing. I use hand planes.

Thanks for asking about the LP. I was working on the binding today. Here's a shot of the top binding just taped in place. It's seven ply ivoroid and black. The back has 5 ply the same style. I glued the back binding on today - came out good.

Thanks for asking. :D

bindingtaped.jpg

I'm a big fan of Grizzly equipment. I have the following tools from them:

Hook and loop sander (just came in today)

18v drill

buffer/polisher

compressor

spray gun

nail gun

jig saw

router bits

bunch of other stuff I can't remember...

AI've been happy with all of the equipment. I'm originally from PA, so when I go home for the holidays, I usually make a trip to the Grizzly store. They have equipment to drool over.. $15,000 planers... HUGE pieces of machinery... They also sell DeWalt, Delta and a few other brands.. and the staff is very honest and striaght forward.. if they think the delta has a better piece of equipment, they'll tell you. But odds are, the Grizzly is built a bit better, and a good bit less money. I've been very happy with their stuff.

But odds are, the Grizzly is built a bit better, and a good bit less money. I've been very happy with their stuff.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the Grizzly, Jet, and most Delta are manufactured in the same Taiwanese facility. There was an article in Fine Woodworking magazine a few years back and I was surprised to find out how many different brand names were made at the same plant, with some minor changes....mostly cosmetic or slight differences in castings.

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky1, glad to hear about the bits. BTW, I received a Grizzly Luthiers Catalog in the mail the other day. It had lots of their tools that would be useful for guitar builders, as well a wood, guitar hardware and inlay materials. Check it out. Now that you have ordered, maybe they will send you one.

I was talking to a local woodworker about a year ago, and I mentioned that I build guitars and he asked if I had heard of Grizzly. I told him that I hadn't, and he said that the guy from Grizzly builds acoustic guitars himself and that they sell alot of guitar building stuff, inlays, etc. So I called and got them to send me the big book. And I was totally shocked. They even sell fretwire. lol Stew Mac better watch out is all I can say. I plan on buying alot from them in the future.

I had to go look. Seems to me that all their fret-wire has a height of .035", which I RARELY need. However, if I were to order other stuff there, I think I'd buy some of their fret-wire, for that price it's worth to have some on-hand. It also has a .041" bead width on the tang which is great for back-bowing the hell out of your neck with typical sized slots in the fret-board.

I've never ordered from Grizzly. I have form HF. Had no problem with customer service. Actually when I was looking for a drill press long ago, I wrote to Grizzly and HF with questions about specific drill presses they were selling. Grizzly answered my questions in a letter. HF sent me the owners manual for the drill press. LOL

Also, check out their selection of Inlay material. If you'll notice they sell alot of the same stuff Stew Mac does, but mostly for a better price. Here are some examples.

Safe-T-Planer from Stew is 44.90 and one from Grizzly is only 39.95. The replacement blades are cheaper also. They kill Stew Mac on the adhesive rolls. For example, the 120 grit adhesive Gold No Load Sandpaper Roll is only 25.95, and I bet it's the same that Stew sells here for 47.28. Wish I'd had know about them sooner.. :D There are many more examples, but you get the idea. Watch out Stew, looks like Grizzly is trying to get some of your business. lol

...feedback on their amps.... :D

I've had the regular Grizzly catalogs for some time. They now have a separate Luthiers catalog - about 100 pages. It just showed up in the mail one day a couple of weeks ago. I've thumbed through it many times already. Just placed an order over the weekend - some small specialty hand tools, some inlay material, lots of sanding disks, etc. Should be here later this week. B)

I ordered the catalog the same day that Guitarfrenzy posted it... I had it for a few weeks now and I go to bed drooling over it thinking and which to get one=ce Ibuy my house! But there are a few that I will order just to get started, and I like the luthiers section, not too much but enough to get what you need. especialy the inlay material, definately cheaper than Stews.