Arthritis

AlGeeEater

there is acutally somthing on the web devoted to making sure guitar players and bass players dont get carpol tunnel (major sp?)

but somthing that does help arthritis is to eat 3 gin soaked rasins everyday. Get some of the golden rasins, soak them in a jar of gin for 2 weeks, then start eating 3 a day. It really helps my parents.

when away from your instrument, squeeze on a spongey rubber ball to warm you up between performances. (i would think not to the point your forearms hurt)

and most importantly of all, don't smash your hand through a wall cause you found out your GF slept with some one else while you were away on an extended tour.

I had a really bad wrist problem for a few weeks at one point... I dont gig or anything, I just think it was due to too many hours typing on my PC and trying to crank in 4 or 5 hours a day of guitar practise in without doing much warm-ups...

So i cut down to just checking my email, and not touching my guitar for a bit... and I did the squeezy ball thing... thankfully the pain went away, and now I remember to warm up plenty before trying to pretend I'm some sort of Zakk Wylde or Jimi Hendrix... lol

Also on a side note... punching walls does no good to your knuckles and joints, even if your g/f has been humping every guy on the block while you been away... lol

Also... whats everyone's views on knuckle cracking? I used to do it a lot, but recently I've cut it down a lot cus I cant see it doing much good to my joints in the long run... but I know a few guys in local bands that are badass soloist's and shredders and they crack their knuckles every 5 minutes... and these guys are like mid to late 20's... I'm like 19 so I dont plan on wanting to end my playing before I'm 30 :D

Anyhow, being 37 I have been subject to my fingers giving out at three fret bends and difficulty performing complicated runs up and down the neck that were easy to me in my 20's.

Yeah, I hear you on that one. I'm surprised I can still play after the 30 years of abuse my hands have taken in the construction trades. Got one knuckle on my picking hand that I'm sure is affected by "Arthur-Itis". B) Its good to limber up before playing. I found that washing the dishes helps :D .

But I have heard of lots of beginners buggering up their hands and fingers for a number of reasons. Badly setup guitar with high action and heavy strings. Also, on a subconscious level, while trying to form and switch chords, just pressing too hard. It seems all the concentration goes into hitting the right notes but not into "how" they hit the right notes.

Just remember folks, if it hurts, then don't do it. Find another way.

Also... whats everyone's views on knuckle cracking? I used to do it a lot, but recently I've cut it down a lot cus I cant see it doing much good to my joints in the long run... but I know a few guys in local bands that are badass soloist's and shredders and they crack their knuckles every 5 minutes... and these guys are like mid to late 20's... I'm like 19 so I dont plan on wanting to end my playing before I'm 30 

Cracking knuckles does nothing bad to them. I asked me pops a few years back (and hes a *real* docter). All it is is a release of air from your joints, or so ive been told.

sometimes, I do major bending (off of the fret, so it chokes, and i use that as a precussive technique) and my pinkey gets it the worst, but I have one of thoes hand strentheners i got off of musicians friend and i work that thing all day during class. So my hand is much stronger now, and i dont have nearly as much problems.

I heard rod stweart was a framer before he joind the faces, so if he could do it I would give construction a try to pay the bills.

a little piece of advice to all you kids wondering what to do for a living...do NOT go into construction...learn to live on a lower wage if you must,or go to college and get a carreer worth having

2 weeks ago i was at work on a construction site in austin...went to get a cup of coffee at break and when i came back EMS was everywhere...turns out a guy was working the mortar mixer(another trade,he was not on my crew)and when he split the bag of mortar open on the ripper attachment on the safety gaurd,the bag somehow got pulled through the grating and into the mixing arms.

well he thought he could grab it before it got pulled all the way in(i know what you are thinking but anyone could make a similar error in judgement on a hot day when you are overworked)

he didn't get it out,instead the mixer pulled his arm in and down to the blades underneath....he lost three fingers all the way to the last joint(that's the whole fingers)

think you could play guitar like that?

2 months ago i was using a miter saw to cut aluminum,well the blade had a chip in it i didn't know about...it ripped the piece of aluminum right out of my hand and flung it all the way across the room,taking the skin off my fret hand middle finger with it...not too bad,healed in about 2 weeks(couldn't play that whole time though)

then,as soon as it healed,i smashed the pinky on my other hand...luckily i don't need that one too much,but it is pretty much healed up now

in other words...construction is bad on your hands and fingers...even if you keep all your fingers,your hands are always stiff from carrying material around

you would be better off managing a taco bell...at least then you would have time to play your instrument,because they don't like to pay overtime...construction companies like for you to work extra hours as much as needed...

go to college,even if it is only for the girls

Yeah, I'm currently working as a commercial/residential painter, a few hand cramps here and there but its not as bad as some of the work I've done. But I always tell the kids walking by, "Don't be a painter! Stay in school!" :D

Accidents? yeah, very sobering thought that brings up lots of chills. Was working in a steel fabrication shop over 20 yrs ago in Edmonton running the shear, punch presses etc. making electrical panels. Two guys were working on the hydraulic 70-ton brake press bending 90 degree angles in long sheets of 12 ga steel, I think it was an order for some steel doors. Lack of communication can happen when you get into a routine, anything out of the ordinary and you can expect trouble. So you got one guy operating the machine, running the controls, footswitch etc. and the other guy helps position and support the piece. Picture a male "V" fitting into a female 1" wide "V" groove both 10 feet long. The helper forgot his hand was still resting across the groove when the machine came down. It crushed his left hand running from the base knuckle of the index finger across to almost the wrist joint. I never heard anyone scream like that and hope I never will again. Later on I had to scrape this white paste (his hand) out of the groove. I had a serious think after that and quit a few months later. Not worth 6 bucks an hour.