what does this mean??

Anathema

so do you know what we mean, and you get how to play it?

if you don't, try this; just put one finger exactly over the 12th fret (right over the wire). When you pick, you will get a note, actually it is the same pitch as fretting on the 12th. But anyway, you can do this same thing on 5th and 7th frets, and lots of other places on the fretboard (well above it actually), like the 9th, 4th. But what the 2.3 means is that you can play a harmonic there, put your finger on the string like before but this time put you finger between frets 2 and 3.

and you need to play all the notes on that line except the one on the B string as harmonics

allright... i still am doing something wrong i get just a thud sound. and it sounds nothing like the song. so i dont put any pressure on the string. and just place my finger somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd fret. sorry its a lot easyer for me to see a person doing this themselves so if you got any kind of video online or anything just give me a link

you dont need to see a video, just concentrate, i didnt understand harmonics before either, but once you do it once, your dead on forever:)

take the high e string, go right over the 12th fret, right over the wire, barely touch the string with your fretting finger, then pluck it lightly, then when the note sounds, remove your finger a little, it will let the note ring clearer, that is a harmonic, and you can play them on alot of places on the fretboard (12, 7, 5 for example)

Hope that helps

Curtis

allright... i still am doing something wrong i get just a thud sound. and it sounds nothing like the song. so i dont put any pressure on the string. and just place my finger somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd fret. sorry its a lot easyer for me to see a person doing this themselves so if you got any kind of video online or anything just give me a link

instead of trying to do the harmonics the song uses, try the ones over frets 12, 7 and 5 on each string first. they are much easier to get out than the ones in that song. and you will get a thud sound, if you dont have your finger in the right spot. But the thud should tell you that you are doing it right, just not in the right spot. you want to touch the string at the spot directly above the fretwire for 12, 7, and 5, but not press it down to the fret.

If i can find my digital camera, i'll take a picture of where you put your finger for a harmonic, but it seems to be evading me right now...

YOu may actually wanna make sure you have at least some gain on your amp before tacklng those harmonics between frets 2 and 3. as far as any harmonic is concerned though, make a concerted effort to remove your finger from the path of the strings vibration once you "plucked" the harmonic. Otherwise you'll deaden the note again.

2 months ago Guitar One, I believe, did a great lesson on Harmonics from simple natural harmonics on the fret 12 all the way to harp, pinch, and hammered harmonics.

okay i think im gettin it on the high e string it makes more of a note kinda of sound but i think im still haveing truble getting it to ring out im not even sure if im getting the right sound at all lol anyways everything you guys are saying is helping a lot and i just wanted to say thnaks

Those harmonics way down low on the fretboard are sometimes difficult to master. You need really good technique to get those to ring out really well. Practice on 12th fret, 7th fret and 5th fret harmonics on all strings to get them ringing clean. It should be more of a bell-like sound (if you're playing with no distortion). Once you've got those ringing clearly, you can move on to the more challenging harmonics.

Another thing that really helps is to have relatively fresh strings on the guitar. Grungy old strings are really dead-sounding and getting harmonics to jump off them is really hard.