Quality of a kit?

Jehle

Since I'm just getting started at this, I want to get a kit guitar first to get my feet wet. I've rewired guitars for years, I can do anything electronically. But now I want to experiment with body shapes, enhanced cut aways, fretboard radii, all that stuff.

So.......

I've been looking at different guitar kits on the web and have considered the Carvin Bolt kit which is pretty cheap for 330 bucks.

But, now I see that www.universaljems.com has a strat type kit for 130! Is that too good to be true? Has anyone used one of these kits for anything?

Any help is appreciated.

For stock pup's there ok but nothing terribly wonderful, the bodys however are fantastic. They come already sealed and the original factory sand job is nothing less that wonderful.

I have had a little problem with the Tele bodys in that the bridge pickup route needs work but it's nothing major just a trim.

If I were going to build up a keeper though I would first swap out the tuners, then work my way from there.

Is that a confession or what :D

Thanks Brian.

I assume that's the universal jem kits that you refer to and not the Carvins.

Now I just need to decide which one to get. Strat... Tele... Strat... Tele... Tempting to go for the tele as I don't have one of those yet. Hmmmm.

I have so many spare parts (tuners, and pickups included) that I should be able to change things out if I need to. Thanks for the tip there.

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Need to order something first...

Thanks again.

All in all when it gets right down to it you pretty much get what you pay for IMHO but just to help anyone on making a choice I would recommmend asking others as well just like your doing here in this forum.

For the Carvin kits, chances are you'll find better reviews in the Carvin Forum :D

Found a link discussing them here in another forum

No I'm not trying to steer the business away, just like people to make an informed decision B)

Good point.

The only problem is that the Carvin forum is going to be infested with loyal Carvin users. I think if I just ask "what do you think?" I'll get a million resonses about Carvin being the bomb, and all that.

I'll lurk over there and see what I can find out though. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 years later...