can you route single coils for humbuckers?

i would like to change the bridge pickup on my washburn from a single coil to a humbucker

will this require too much work with the pickgaurd and just taking everything apart?

Its my only working electric right now, so i dont want to screw it up

Curtis

hmmm, maybe just a new bridge pickup will be better, i dont want to spend tons on it as its kinda a beater as well, it just sounds, kinda bad to me, and when i play my friend LP or his dad's Explorer, with the bridge humbucker, just sounds SOOOOOOO sweet, just wanted to get a good sound outta my strat copy

Curtis

Depends on the guitar routing. Take the pickguard off, and look at the wood. Is the bridge routed out for a Humbucker? You'll be able to tell...if it is...then you just have to modify the pickguard, which is easy as beans. IF you have to route the cavity out, you might want to hold off. Because its a beater, perhaps its a good time to learn?

As for the pickguard, anything under the sun will cut that sucker thin. Hell, you could even use a solid exacto knife! Just make a template for the humbucker, and either sand it to size, or use a saw, or whatever. Don't look at it like guitar modification, look at it like grade 5 art class: How to make a plastic hole bigger.