New to Binding- Advice Needed

Ed00g

Hello there I am in need of some help and am hoping someone gives me a few tips.I am really new to guitars so i probably wouldn't know if this was even the right section to post about binding.Anyway i now own an epiphone les paul 100, but would like to upgrade it to look like a standard by adding a trim to it.i've read a few tutorials but didn't really seem to get it.I know you can buy binding online and i just needed to know if if i would need a rotary tool to take off the edge of the body to add the trim?I really hope one of you can help me.

thanks,

Ed00g

Keep in mind that binding totally isn't as easy as it looks, so practice a little and buy way more binding than you need.

Personally I like the binding router bits from Stew Mac, by the way. Never had one problem with the fit. I wouldn't buy the whole set, just get the bit and then whatever size bearing you need. But routing on a carved top might call for something entirely different as far as ease of use. One of those rotary tool ones might serve you better.

Good luck.

To do an arched top, you're going to have to use the dremel tool attachment collar and the bit that goes with it.

It will 'probably' chip some paint around the edges, I would only do it if you intend on refinishing the entire guitar.

And practice a LOT on scrap first. :D