Squire Strats

Jivin

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a cheap strat basically to muck around with, (cheap since i dont have a huge use for one, so I cant justify a fender), but ive come across a great sunburst 'standard' squire strat that I quite like, and even though id be willing to upgrade a lot of its hardware in the long-term, i was more curious as to what quality the basics of these things are?

I understand they wouldnt be anything fancy, but for the money (its like $250AU in great condition), is the construction and wood selection ok?

Thanks in advance,

- Dan

if i'm right, the Japanese Squiers are some of the really good ones. an acquaintance of mine from another forum has one and looks really nice.

how about looking for Japanese Strats made during the so-called lawsuit era? maybe you might spot one or two there in Australia. at least with those, you can get better stock wood and hardware to start with. i have a Fernandes Revival strat copy and am very happy with it.

Mine is a Squier and it was made in Korea. The hardware was not too bad, withthe exeption of the tunners, and the stock pups sounded nice for the quality... Since then the only original hardware left is the tunners and the jack plate. this guitar sound amazing noe, but I bet that with a good body it will be much better...

Truth be told, I've never like Squire necks.. They just feel.....wrong.. Not sure about the bodies, though.. Electronics can be replaced.. So can much of the hardware, come to think of it, if you're willing the fork out the cash..

By the way, AU$250 seems a little steep for a used Squire, doesn't it? :D

Ones like this were selling for $500 new before the newer model came out here in australia, so i didnt think so. It does come with a hardcase as well.

I actually got it for $215AU in the end though, so we'll see. The guy said he is very confidant its not ply, but who knows :D

Thanks again for all your input

- Dan

By the way, AU$250 seems a little steep for a used Squire, doesn't it?

It depends on the Squier, really (not to mention how much the seller knows about his guitar). Lots of used Squiers are floating around in our local classifieds and auction site, usually selling between US$100-200. That still doesn't make it a good buy for me as MIJ Fenders also sell within that range here.