walnut anyone?

yo my landlord just gave me a slab of walnut that used to be a coffee table back in the 70s its been sitting in his shop for over 30 years! and the grain is awsome on it! its about 1.75 inches thick. and there is enough for about 4 bodies,man am i excited.

hes not even charging me for it ,its free! i think i have the best landlord in the world! he lets me have part of his workshop, lets have free reign over his tools and now gives me walnut,and he gave me some teec (is that how you spell it?) i might use that for the fret board ,think it will work?

all i need now is to find some quilted maple,any one know were i can get it on a limited buget?

rye :D

yeh i know that stuff is deadly, thanks though. tonewise i geuss i'lll just have to try it i hope its ok. if not well i will be able to iron out the kinks in my design and the walnut will give me good practice. ps i also think cherry is somewhat piosonous to breath. :D

Actually I'm a huge fan of walnut!!! I've had some really good tones through some of the strat copies I've done in the past the only drawback I've found is that its bloody heavy wood!!!! But then if its been dried for 30 years or so moisture should be pretty well taken care of... if I were you I'd have a go and see what you think... thats the only real way to learn after all... :D

Hi ryeisnotcool,

Please do not let the nay-sayers sway you. I am in the middle of building a Walnut Tele-like guitar. It is very pretty wood. And if you don't want the wood, send it to me. I love it. And what is the maple for? A cap on the walnut?

Seriously, check out my web site, Eds World, snd then click on Walnut Guitar. In addition to my musings and plans fopr the walnut guitar, I talk about actually building the guitar. :o

One comment: At 1 3/4" thick you pretty much have to build a flat top guitar. And per chance, the Tele is 1 3/4" thick.

I would be happy to help you with tool suggestions, stuff like that if you want. And it is spelled Teak. I have some teak wood furniture, and it is not the hardest wood around. Pretty, and does not rot in water, but I am not sure if it is appropriate for a fingerboard.

Have fun, and drop me a line if you want.

Guitar Ed

i live 15 min from ken smith basses, im sure youve all heard of them. and he uses walnut on almost all his instruments that he builds. so well see how it goes . i will post some pics of my projects as soon as i can. thanks for all your help guys. rye :D

How hard is it to work with?

One of my co-workers just cut down a tree in his back yard and he has some 18" long x 18" diameter pieces that he's trying to get rid of. I figure a couple of slabs of that stuf would be really nice to make a body and a coffee table or two out of. but if I'm going to want to kill myself after working with it....

i havent built a guitar with i t yet but in all my other woodworking projects it is a great wood to work with. but!!! wear a mask! it is very toxic to breath!

Howdy Mr. Jones,

Just one comment on the lumber from your friends yard. Time and patience. Words you have heard before. But it is great wood.

Guitar Ed

Well, fellow Ed, given that I have to get the lumber, cut it into boards (it's still in log form right now) and either find someone with a kiln or sit it in the garage for 2 years or so. I'm pretty sure that I'll have long-sinced mastered the art of patience by the time I actually would be able to build anything out of it.

:D

the bodies are going good so far . i have three that i got out of that plank. there all cut out and routed to size using a plexyglass template i made up . last night a was out in the shop till 1:30 in the morning making another template/jig for routing in the neck pocket at a 4 degree angle . and i routed one of the bodies so far with the jig and it worked good!

i am having the neck run al the way past the bridge so it wil be like a neck thru, kinda like the way "jaros" guitars are made. its looking good so far!

:D