How Gibson Makes a guitar

bigdguitars

One-piece manufacturing makes for better clarity and consistency of tone, and it is also more stable physically than laminated or spliced construction.

I think quite a few people would disagree with that last statement. Laminated wood construction is almost always more dimensionally stable than solid wood construction.

They kinda lost me after that part.

One-piece manufacturing makes for better clarity and consistency of tone, and it is also more stable physically than laminated or spliced construction.

I think quite a few people would disagree with that last statement. Laminated wood construction is almost always more dimensionally stable than solid wood construction.

They kinda lost me after that part.

Ditto. I read through it, but it's a blend of good info and Gibson propaganda. To be honest I think there are still more people out there who believe that guitar making is too hard for them to attempt, than there are who imagine it's a walk in the park. Articles like that one do kind of promote the idea that guitars are made by master craftsmen, and are out of the abilties of regular mortals, which really isn't the case.

I also find it slightly sad that all the guys on the Gibson line can do their job very well, but none of them can actually build a whole guitar start to finish. That's just the way in production line operations.

every time someone says pine is not a suitable wood they will get the same reply from me. most soft pines suck, but the expensive, dense Pitch pine/yellow pine/parana pine is good, it has better statistics than maple if i recall. i have built a guitar out of this, and am very pleased with it, so much so that i am selling my ibanez.