agathis????

Well, I was about to buy the ESP EC-100QM and the shop-guy said it was mahogany. It was truly the heaviest guitar (by mass) I've held in my hands.

Now, Music123 sells it with an agathis body. Is agathis as heavy as the heavier type of mahogany? I don't want to buy an agathis guitar... :\

I think the guitar is gorgeus. Just needs a few of custom-made pickups and golden hardware (including a bigsby trem) and it'll be a sweety.

----------

Jimbo

Guest AlexVDL
agathis is pretty light if im not mistaken, if the guitar is heavy it might be mahogany, the heavier type of mahogany do you mean honduran???

MzI

By my knowledge honduran mahogany is very light, and often used on the more expensive les paul models like the historic editions.

African mahogany is the heavy kind... at least what I know of.

My 1 piece honduran mahogany gothic mockingbird is as light as a feather :D

my brazilian mahogany weighs a hell of a lot, currently my body weighs a ton, I'm gonna have to shape the edges down a fair bit for it to be playable standing up... although I still have all the routing to do...

and isnt African mahogany rather poor quality compared with the other mahogany's?

mahogany is heavy huh? i wonder how much my rosewood top ebony body prs is gonna weigh. ouch. lol

well... when you play it standing you'll have 10mins playing before the blood isnt getting to your arm :D and if you play it sitting down for more than 30 mins you'll be paralized from the thigh down B) have fun with it! :D lol

nope, got the wood, and its gonna be badarse. wood looks SOOOOO beautiful. the rosewood board i got was 30lbs and the ebony for the neck and body is 16lbs. of course im not using it all but still should weigh a couple :D start cutting stuff tomm and all my parts are here monday. ill keep you guys update and im doing a step by step picture tutorial too!

got enough rosewood to do a bookmatched 1" top and 2 necks i think, 90$

ebony will have to be laminated cause i cant find a board thats 7x2x20 or 14x1x20. and if i did id have to sell my left kindey to get it. so im going with the lam route. dont think youll be able to see grain difference either.

the ebony neck and body wood was 180$

little pricey but id rather spend a few bucks more for something someone has never done before. think it will turn out real nice.

i love sanding and ive got some power tools. shouldnt be to horrible :D

not to much worried about the sound either. dont think it will be to harsh, thinking about PAF's so that should soften her up a little.

Yup, for no reason. Anyway...

Well, I was about to buy the ESP EC-100QM and the shop-guy said it was mahogany. It was truly the heaviest guitar (by mass) I've held in my hands.

Now, Music123 sells it with an agathis body. Is agathis as heavy as the heavier type of mahogany? I don't want to buy an agathis guitar... :\

Like any wood, there will be differing weight. I have seen honduas mahogany that weighed a ton, and light as a a feather. I would say being as that is the absolute rock bottomest LTD model, it's agathis. The shop guy is on commission, he will lie to get you to buy it so he can eat. Do some homework before buying a guitar at a big store. Ask if they have a catalogue :D. If he's lying, you can easily call him on it.

ASM. If you want to brag about your ideas, start your own thread. I'm sure Jim didnt appreciate that.