What kind mohagony in Gibson?

Well. For the most part, mahogany is mahogany is mahogany. Sound varies a little bit but what varies most is color and figure. So figured mahog, which is SUPER cool, is way more expensive but tonally, very similar. What you run into with HomeDepot wood is quality. You have to deal with moisture content, board weakness, structural integrity (cracks, holes, splits). For your first couple builds..I say get it. it won't sound that great, but you'll need practice working with mahogany if you plan on building something out of it that's really nice. it's a BUGGER to finish. So for practice sake and for the sake of those bitchin' guitars you're destined to make...go for it!

As far as quality goes, it depends on where its going to be used. For marine applications like strake/bumper rails on expensive yachts then the straightest grain possible is the most desirable. I've seen 16' X 1' X 2' blocks carved down to form curved handrails measuring 10' X 4"wide X 4" high. They also want straight grain for steaming and bending, the pieces are then bolted to the hull of a boat to form bumpers. This website shows some prices for African, Phillipine and Honduras mahoganys.

http://www.westwindhardwood.com/hard_m.html#mahh

The Honduras is twice as expensive as the other two but quality might not be the reason as much as rarity and difficulty to import.

African Mahogany is not a true Mahogany. True Mahogany's fall under the Swietenia genus which come from the American continents, while African Mahogany falls under the khaya genus which comes from Africa.

Gibson probably uses an American Mahogany, but not necessarily Honduran.

I think Gibson uses honduras mahogany (aka. genuine mahogany) at times, but they don't really specify what kind of mahogany they use nowdays, which means they could be using anything they can get their hands on. lol.. I just bought some honduras mahogany yesterday, a 10 foot board that was 8/4 x 11" that cost me 92 dollars. It's gonna be enough to make 3 complete guitars, even without a top on it. But, I'm still gonna buy some quilted maple tops :D .. As far as quality, I'm not really sure how it stacks up against African Mahogany, but I do know it's alot higher a board foot.

mleichtl Posted on Aug 27 2004, 12:00 PM

Hi, The reason I ask is Menards, (kinda like Home Depot here in Wisconsin) sells it. Its the shrink wrapped stuff. Is it any good for guitars? Its cheap ($10 for a 1x6 - 6') so I think I'll get some for My first couple builds. 

"Save more money at Menard's!!"

Where the heck are you in Wisconsin? If you're in the Fox Valley (I'm near FDL) drop me an email or PM and I'll send you some info on an excellent source of wood near Lomira......

Back on topic....If you're doing a first build and can laminate (1" is too thin for a body esp since it's really only 3/4" on a 1x6) you might try it and see how it works out. Realize you will need to plane it and get the mating surfaces very smooth to avoid unglued spots.

For a few dollars more there are plenty of places to get the right wood here in Wisconsin.

I hate that Cap'n Kangaroo looking freak! I'm in Cedarburg but went to school at Moraine park.

I usually go to Kettle Moraine Hardwoods in slinger, are you talking about the same place? the last time I was there they only had 1/2" thick mohogany.

I got this stuff at Menards cause its cheap, for practice. Gonna try building a couple Daisy Rock type for my daughters.

mleichtl Posted on Aug 28 2004, 06:57 PM

I hate that Cap'n Kangaroo looking freak! I'm in Cedarburg but went to school at Moraine park.

LOL! I lived in Cedarburg long ago and was actually in the first class (in '74 or '75 if I remember correctly) to go to Webster when it was brand new (man, that was a loooong time ago!). It was so long ago that I went to Pleasant Valley Elementary when it was actually a school!! I moved up here from Grafton about 8 years ago. I ended up there after travelling the world and country....long story.....and settled here with my wife. I went to Moraine Park in FDL and just finished my electrical journeyman program this past spring. Small world!

I got this stuff at Menards cause its cheap, for practice. Gonna try building a couple Daisy Rock type for my daughters.

The mahog you bought should make a decent guitar and will be excellent for practice. A few of the guys on here used pine and or plywood for practice and to gain confidence before digging in to an expensive piece of wood.

I usually go to Kettle Moraine Hardwoods in slinger, are you talking about the same place? the last time I was there they only had 1/2" thick mohogany.

Yes, I was talking about Kettle Moraine Hardwoods. I have to press them for thicker wood when I am there, but it comes down to what they have available. Once I told them I was using it to build guitars they were very helpful. I always call first now since it's a 45 minute drive for me.

A note about Project Guitar: You found the right spot for tips and answers....this is a great site full of knowledgeable and helpful builders. Good luck on your project!