Do Martin Style Truss Rods Need Fillet?

The first neck I built was the standard truss rod and had a fillet but I tried using a Martin

style truss rod from stewmac and didn't install a fillet since I didn't think it needed one. Does anyone else on the forum use a fillet with the Martin style truss rod? They have the flat aluminum channel on top and set flat against the bottom of the fret board.

Edited by PerryL

The first neck I built was the standard truss rod and had a fillet but I tried using a Martin

style truss rod from stewmac and didn't install a fillet since I didn't think it needed one. Does anyone else on the forum use a fillet with the Martin style truss rod? They have the flat aluminum channel on top and set flat against the bottom of the fret board.

You can use the Martin style rod with or without a fillet. I've used it several times without, and I'm just finishing up a Les Paul with fillet. I didn't find one way tougher than the other - so do which ever you fancy.

Thanx Setch, Like I said, the second neck I made was without and it functions just fine.

No rattle which was the first thing I was worried about, So Cool, My next one will get a martin style also. I didn't even fasten it in the neck since it was tight and cut to the exact depth and length. The Fingerboard was glued down with regular Titebond Wood glue.

Edited by PerryL