Body timber thickness

Hi all,

I'm just shopping around for some timber for a body I want to build. As this is going to be my first crack at building one I wanted to minimise my investment. I've found a local timber shop that can sell me some hoop pine which is 38mm thick - 1 1/2 inches. Can I get away with this thickness? I'm building a copy of a BC Rich Beast with a Floyd Rose and EMG and a AANJ neck.

Cheerz,

Kirk B):D

There is one thing you should look out for. The Floyd will require a certain depth. I have done the mistake on my first guitar that I'm building, to choose a too thin thickness, to the Floyd will stick out in the back. Doesn't really bother me, but I thought it might be good to warn you.

Nah, that probably won't be easy or good, so I won't do that. I did however for a while consider the option of making a "carved-bottom" guitar, to get some wood around there so it won't stick out, but I don't think it is that much of a problem.

Btw, your sig, wes, what is that supposed to mean? (Being from Sweden it's quite hard to figure out what that might be in a certain dialect (is that the correct word?))

The only thing I can think of is "I am retartded. I am so f*cking retarded". Is that what it's supposed to be?

I was right!! :D

/me feels proud of himself

To get back a bit to the topic, what about birch (I think that's its name; the tree that is white with black "dots" all over it)? Is that any good?