neck thru with tom question

MzI

OK so im workin on my plans for my new v in cad and its gonna be a neck thru again with a tom, but as im workin and im lookin at the thickness of the neck in the actual body, looking at the tom placement and what not, the studs for the bridge dont actually hit the neck, so wouldnt it be better if the studs of the bridge hit the neck thru which would in turn result in more sustain, or is the connection thru the body enough that the sustain travels thru the wood

btw right now i have 2 guitars with strings thru that both sustain forever ones a bolt and ones a neck thru, just thinkin it would add more to the sustain

MzI

mine that straddles the neck has huge sustain...don't worry so much about it,just do it...the actual building process coupled with playing it when finished will answer your questions firsthand

and a proper glue joint is awesome...no loss in tone or sustain that i can tell...my set neck carved top i built has greater sustain than my thru neck v...and great tone as well...

don't bother with string thru if that is not what you want...the effect is negligible compared to a tailpiece

try out the tone pros bridge and tailpiece...quality stuff...and it is expensive but it does seem to give something to it

my other v the one i just finished has the bridge stradling the neck thru, strings thru with a tone pros, it does have awesome tone and sustain so i will go with that then cuz i just finished drawing up my plans

as far as strings thru vs tail piece, id say between the 4 guitars i have 2 with strings thru and 2 with tail pieces the sustain is night and day, the 2 with tail pieces are a gibson and an esp ltd and neither of them can touch the tone and sustain of the 2 i built with strings thru

MzI

the esp is a bolt on and the joint is quite tight

MzI

except for the finish in between the neck and the body you mean?factory bolt on guitars have a thick coat of finish in that joint because it prevents moisture from seeping in over the years and cracking the finish or causing other problems

unfortunately this reduces sustain substantially...which is why i prefer set necks (with a tight joint) or neck throughs

The SG I just built incorporates the bridge mounts into the neck wood block (4 1/4" wide). I'll carve a bone nut for it one of these days but I had a plastic one that I didn't have to modify at all, fits real nice for the time being. Anywho, compared to my other mahogany neckthrough (bridge straddles the neck wood block) I DO get more sustain. Both guitars made of the same stock mahogany, and both have identical hardware. The neck on this SG is rather chunky, nice and wide up top, got about 1/4" of spare neck on the outsides of both E strings at the 24th fret. I like that, good for the ol' vibrato. I'll get some pics of this beast soon, I keep forgetting, :D . But here is a link to an old pic from one of the building stages.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1...c2.jpg.orig.jpg

The block at the center is actually the neck wood and it DOES continue on through almost to the butt of the guitar, only INSIDE the wings, B) . BTW, the picture hosting site I'm using sux bigtime, have patience, it will load eventually, sorry 'bout that. :D