New Accoustic\Electric

Alarung

I'm on the market.

My ancient Yamaha classical's still wonderful, but I need a steel string.

A local antique shop has a line I've never seen anywhere else, called SongBird.

I can't find much on the Net, except some HC reviews and a family shop up in Ontario that carries them.

Now, these SongBirds are an interest to me. We have a solid spruce top, nice looking mahogany back and sides, excellent action, electronics (I've not heard them plugged in), and tuners that say Grover on them, plus a "Handcrafted" label and a "Made in Korea" sticker on the back of the headstock. For $450 Canuck, about $340 US. This dosen't seem feasible, and do I want a guitar the says Handmade In Korea for that price? Not to mention the finish, which is God pleasing.

Can you guys say anything about these?

And what does anyone know about the lower end Martins?

Thanks,

Edited by Alarung

Here's a thread that discusses a few people's opinions on lower end acoustics.

Actual guitar brands are mentioned about 12 posts or so down the first page.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=6008&hl=

As for low-end Martins, I LOVE the sound of my Martin DX1. It deffinately doesn't sound anywhere near my D-28 but your talking a HUGE price difference.

My Martin DX-1 starts sounding muddy pretty quick into the life of my strings but sounds great with a slightly broken in pair of Elixirs, IMHO.

As for the "Made in Korea" label, they're taking over the manufacturing world (next to China) and already produce a HUGE amount of guitars worldwide as well as pianos and other instruments. I'd rather support American made products but if they play great and are low priced, it's hard to beat. Just look closely for any manufacturing flaws since I've experienced a VERY LARGE percentage a manufacturing flaws that get shipped out of Korea compared to American quality but that is my own personal experience.

It really depends on the use:

Single guitar, without bass and drums you should go with a full Dreadnought body style guitar. The lower end Martin without a laminated top is the Martin DX1. Martin's are very full bodied and this model is around $500

Martin DX1

If you are doing pure solo work you can get away with a concert size guitar. I fell in love with the Taylor Grand Auditorium. There is something very special about this instrument. A number of years back it was just under a grand.

Taylor Grand Auditorium

If you are playing with a full band then I like the thin line Ovation. This one sounds sort of thin and rubbery when played by it self but really shines when amplified in a full band situation. It seems to fit nicely into where it does not compete with the other instruments and does an excellent job of filling in the holes. It has its' own sound hole design.

Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe

If you like a full bodied electrified acoustics the Takamine EG530SC Acoustic-Electric is excellent on stage. Full bodied yet with just the right about of jangle.

Takamine EG530SC Acoustic-Electric

Hope that helps!

GearHabit

Edited by Gearhabit