Concept Head "Vampyre"

ansil

Thanks lovekraft. i havent tried the 5150 and i was just judgeing from the specs, and thanks for the heads up on the marshall275. My budget is below 1000, I don't care for distortions on amps because I have a Digitech metal master which i use 95% of the time, and so far no amp has been able to match it for my taste, seeing as it mods a Boss HM, Digitech Death Metal and a ProCo RAT. I also have a Boss OD-20 which I only use for the occasional messin around doin weird distortions and styles that I don't gig with (blues, acid, classic, etc.).

What I am looking for is a combo amp with an amazing clean. I wish I could find one just with clean and no reverbs, chorus', distortion, overdrive, and not to mention those amps with 1000 built in effects. I have been looking at the fender hot rod deluxe and a fender Ultimate Chorus DSP too bad that they have overdrives, reverbs and chorus'. Is there any amp out there that can give me power to gig with and has an amazing clean and only clean? If not only clean at least an amp with not too many special effects lol. The guitar I use is a Yamaha RGX121S but I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone LP Goth or SG (I love the sound)

-Jamie :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  5150  worst amp ever man.  they took a perfectly good idea and screwed it all up.

Two words:

TIN EAR

Might wanna se 'bout that.

Sorry if i offended ya mate, but i am definately not plagued by TIN EAR. However Everyone is allowed their opinions but opinions are like Elbows Most everyones got one.

Also considering people buy my amps as soon as i come in the door with them i doubt the above statement too.

but hey too each his own.

maybe the 5150 you tried had some faultyness in it lol or peavey just doesn't know how to make tube amps

seriously looking at the specs it looks like a real killer amp - thats why i was thinking it may beat out the fender hot rod deluxe since it's pretty much the same specs except the 5150 has more 12AX7 tubes, and different speakers but then again I won't know for sure until I try.

-Jamie :D

interestingly enough i like the combo version as it has a much nicer sound. and since i worked for a dealer i have heard quite a few of them. but then again maybe the whole thing was misbiased its possible.. i never bothered to adjust it and tweak it out cause i wasn't paid to make things sound great i was there to sell stuff. As to elaborate on why i didint' like the 5150 my reasoning is this. past6 on the gain knob and all i got was white noise mixed in with the distortion and none of the controls seemed to have much versatility. but then again if i stumble on one that has that golden sound i might get one one day. personally though i am a little leary of big ole pcb boards but i know they can be done very well but i do not like 1/4 watt resistors in a high voltage tube amp and to my horror and shock there are some on my friends 5150 that are the plate resistors.

another question i was looking at the schematic for the combo version and it has one less tube in the preamp than the head.. anyone else notice this?????? LK?

The one thing I gotta give Peavey credit for is their customer service and parts avaliabilty. I've always had good luck with getting replacement parts easy and fast.

Having said that, I like the XXX and the new JSX, but the XXL has got to go. Also, I know I'm going to piss off a lot of Van Halen fans out there, but if you like Ed's tone since 1995, well, I guess you'll like the 5150. He uses so many digital effects now that it really doesn't matter if his amp sounds good or not.

*ducks*

Okay, since I've managed to insult my favorite guitarist's tone for the last ten years, except for Humans Being, I'm more of a Marshall and Mesa kind of guy. I like the clean tone of the Soldano, but for rock it's gotta be a Marshall and for gritty blues and nu rock it's gotta be the Mesa.

You know, I used to think that you needed a big amp to really stand out, but I really think most of us can get away with a 25-40 watt combo for club-sized gigs. Just mike it and run it through the house speakers. It's sooo much easier to control and it'll sound just as good too. If you want a super clean sound, I like the Roland Jazz Chorus.

Just so you know, Angus Young has all those Marshall stacks on stage, but only one of 'em is turned on, and it's set really low. The sound to the house actually comes from a JTM45 in a road case under the stage, cranked to the max and miked to the house.

Hey,

If you are checking out the hot rod, take a look at the peavey classic 50 4x10. From the research i did when i got the amp, the two are pretty close except the peavey got much better reviews. Look it up on HC. I just got one this summer and its amazing. Its my first real tube amp so I have nothing to compare it to, but $420 on the bay for 50 watts of tube is pretty freakin awesome. Again just my 2cents. And btw, what about blue voodoos?

-Vadim

Meh i thinks its something with the harmonics from tubes...well there are several ways to measure watts and i know three: DIN, RMS and PMPO, PMPO and RMS are the "false" ones and DIN is the real watt. I have two 6l6GC in my amp and they do 30 watt per tube, but it saids on the back that its 100 W RMS. So 100 W RMS is about 60 W DIN.

i would belive that your rattings for your amp are more with how the company rates them.. as taken from the great tonelizard site.

"There is very bad math going on when someone advertises they are selling a 50 watt (2XEL34) Marshall head or a 100 watt (4XEL34) Marshall head. Technically speaking, the EL34 is a true Pentode with a much higher transconductance (11,000 micromhos) than the Beam-Power tetrode 6L6 (6,000 micromhos). I have never measured a 2XEL34 Marshall that put out less than 60+ watts RMS before clipping (and who plays a Marshall clean?). Many Traynor amplifiers get 90 watts RMS from two EL34's. A good 4XEL34 amplifier can easily squeeze out closer to 150 watts RMS! To be fair, this fallacy has been going on for a long time, and even the vintage dealers are guilty. How else can two EL34 output tubes leave two 6L6 output tubes in their wake? Read on.

At similar plate voltages, a pair of EL34's require only about 2/3rds of the drive voltages of 6L6's to achieve similar output or even much more output. 6L6's require about 72VAC grid-to-grid to get 55 watts of output power, as compared to the 47VAC grid-to-grid required to drive two EL34's to 100 watts of output! (800VDC plates/400VDC screens.) The typical Marshall preamplifier will furbish much more than this. This can lead to copious amounts of 'preamp overdrive'. Once again, the EL34 is a true pentode output tube, as compared to the beam-power tetrode 6L6/5881. Pentodes have a higher plate resistance, and subsequently a lower damping factor with a similar feedback circuit. This yields more output distortion (all else being 'equal'). "

http://tone-lizard.com/lesson6.htm

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6L6gc

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=el34

http://photobucket.com/albums/v210/ansil/Vampyre/

these are the Vampyre pics here and i am working on doing a tutorial on etching the fiberglass

http://www.geocities.com/ansilgregory/Vampyre.htm

tut