Concept Head "Vampyre"

ansil

OFFICIALLY THIS POST HAS BEEN RENAMED TO "TALKS ABOUT OTHER TUBE AMPS"

so i was thinking of doing a modded Extacy type crunchy distortion. with a nice clean preamp in there with a sweepable scoop/boost mid range knob. and putting it into some sort of concept or themed amp.

so i decided on using whatever wood i have at the shop that is suitable for the task and either

Staining the Wood Blood Red [if i have a nice piece of wood or use some veneer on top.] or covering it in BLood red Fabric.

Vampyre.gif

back lit fiberglass logo. [i already printed it out and am cutting it tonight. :D yeah..] some sort of dark grey material for the back ground. and casting my own blood colored knobs. perhaps with some sort of theme to them as well.

"vampre teeth maybee?"

i guess i should also note that its a single ended "if i can find the proper transformer" el34 power section running class A mode.

any suggestions woudl be appreciated.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vampyre

Edited by ansil

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think if you spelt vampire properly, it would look a lot less cheesy hair metal - unless thats what you;re going for :D

In Older times that was the "correct spelling".. if you read. 900 year old printings in middle european spellings of that time.. but i assume you were just poking fun B)

i know what you mean, and i know that thats the older spelling, i just meant spell it vampire - so my wording sucked :D

edit: and i wasn't poking fun, i'm being serious, theres something about the P and the Y they just don't look as aesthetically pleasing as p and i

shrug

i figured you knew what i was getting at.

but i am sure someone else in this thread wouldn't. more than likely there is going to be someone here who will be [asumes slackjawed accent] "Hey der budd e doNT U No Guud Anglish" and then we would have to go research links and stuff and post them to educate people on 11th century writings [and carvings that were made around 14th century to like the one for vlad the impaler showing his face] so i figured you knew what i meant. just trying to clear it up for people who didnt' incase this thread gets anymore views :D

Well last night i used the actuall logo.[same font as the picture] and i cut the lexan i was going to cut it all out and then replace it with a black vampyre [no not a racial vampyre term for those of you who read too much into posts :D ] and back light the whole thing with giant jumbo leds [red of course.]

but when i got done tracing the outline of the template with the soldering iron i decided to just finish giving it that engraved/melted look. which turned out so well i couldthn' belive i had done it. [i am quite serious here] so i decided to do that to a few things last night and then i hit both sides with some 400 grit sandpaper to give it tha blurred or smokey look to the raw plexiglass but to smooth out the roughness of the vampyre [again not to be confused with a backwoods vamprye because they live in the rough. ]

so i finnished all that up last night and got the rough wooden case and well now i just need to pick the fabric to cover it with. and drill out the chasis. [i already hammered the chasis out.]. i have step by step pics of me doing this if anyone wanted to seee.. mabye a tutorial perhaps??? if brian is interested i will send it to him when he is out of the hurricane. best wishes on that my friend.

or if any of the other moderators wanted to look at it. i am just waiting on the pics from my bp as he is uploading them from the camera.

als as far as the wattage. i decided to go with two el84's in Class A mode. so i haven't calculated the actuall wattage yet.?? but i think i will put in a couple of octal sockets too so i can use some other tubes too.

well heres the Vampyre Scan.

Vampyre2.jpg

you have to keep in mind that this is a direct scan and the only way to see this much detail on the amp is to put your eye 1 inch from the lexan.

but also i am not done with it yet still more sanding to go. detailsanding with sanding sticks..[emre boards lol work great and cheaper than sand paper. dollar tree]

Vampyresmall.jpg

perspective view.

Looking Awsome... wat are the specs of the amp? And why not have black knobs on it to give a more gothic feel rather than just a red feel!

BigT

:D

not a bad idea on the black knobs. i am still looking and figuring out what to do on it. hopefully the pics i already got will be uploaded today.

3 12ax7 type tubes. and two el84's for now.

I think a tutorial would be great on how to build the head. Ive thought of making an amp while waiting to get money for the guitar Im building first. Unfortunatily the list keeps going as everyone knows once you start building your hooked.

Im sure lots of people would get use from the tutorial.

Ok Did a reallllly quick job and its not very good but it created a better picture in my head! and go with Red lettering if you do black knobs cuz it looks better if the knobs are on a chrome backplate.. (im asuming thats what the knobs are on in your lil drawing) and then have chrome corners it just makes it seem abit more classy and just kinda finishes it off. - But its your amp so go with what looks good to you.

BigT

:D

i'm liking the ideas behind this, as well as the vampyre you cut out. there's just a few things i'd change if i were the one doing it.

instead of having it covered in red, i'd cover it in black, with maybe some red "veins" in it. and definately chrome corners.

i'd have the grill cloth or whatever you'll be using be black as well, possibly outlined in chrome.

for knobs i like the black knob with red lettering idea. with a chrome control plate.

bcf88e48.jpg

basic idea. it will be back lighted by both the tubes and some leds.

probally be red back lighting but perhaps it will be blue purple or whatever. still in the mix i may get a dremel and actually go further into the lexan and then mix in some liquid plasitc and some dye and make a custom color and then go back over it with the soldering iron. [i like how the finish on the front looks with the iron.] just have it a colored version.