Crotch Walnut Progress

mdw3332

Guys, thanks.

The flash does make it look milky. I took the pic after dark and the ones without a flash were too dark. It looks like a mirror. I'll post some better pics whei it's finished.

There isn't a gap, just the way the picture looks I guess. I had a cabinet shop do the resawing and jointed. It is pricey, but with this piece of wood, I wanted to be sure it was done right.

Stones Creed,

Found it at a local hardwood shop for about $45. Had it resawn and there it is. It is actually better looking than the picture (the wood, not the craftsmanship).

However, when I looked at it in the daylight, I noticed I had some wipe marks from the early coats. I spent this morning stripping it all the way down and I'm going to re-do it with Tru-Oil.

Oh well.

how are you guys getting flat edges? with a big hand plane or do you go out and buy a jointer? frickin thing is such a one-job oriented tool i cant make myself go drop all the cash on it. ive been taking my wood to get jointed, at a cost tho :D

I used a hand plane. It came out fine and flat (with a gap on one end which I didn't care about), but (in haste) I glued the top on with gap at the bottom instead of the top by the horns where it would have been cut off. I could have removed and reglued the maple, but the bridge will hide most of the gap and the dark stain hid the rest. (I hope) B)

Sorry, about hijacking your thread. :D

Guys, hijack away, like I said it is getting re-done. (And you are not nearly as obnoxious as the hijack stuff I was getting through Internet Explorer :D ).

www - I have never had luck with a hand plane. There's a lumberyard nearby that will joint several pieces for about $20. Yeah, it is frog like, hadn't noticed it. It is a pretty incredible piece of wood - hope I don't screw it up!

hynsu - first of all, I have seen your work and it is excellent. I really respect your skills.

Bookmatching is done by resawing a piece of wood: that is to slice it in half with a bandsaw and open it up like a book. For example, the walnut on the top of mine was 4/4 (1 inch) thick. I took it to a cabinet shop to resaw. I got back 2 pieces that were 1/2 inch thick. I believe it takes a good, big bandsaw. How do you say "Frog" in Korean? Maybe that's what I will name it.

I think Frog in Korean is Kae-gu-ri! Hyunsu am I correct?

Planing for $20.00? I would pay that in a heartbeat if I could get someone to do it.

Planing worked well for me. I read about sharpening and tuning the plane and just did it. I will have pics of my project on Jan. 1 2005 (Caribburst comp) and then you can see how the bookmatch turned out. :D

mdw3332.

in korea, we call frog to "geguri". because frog cry "gegul gegul"..

so frog is geguri..

i think your guitar name is call your self made ^^, if named frog .. it is really The honor is more than I deserve.

it is really good work.. for give to maden gutiar's name..

my guitar is all have name..

7.jpg

left1, choco

2. Sweet Corn

3. yuribury (mean foolish, my foolish first LP Style but sound is not foolish)

4. elegance

5. dark engel(not include in this pic)

have nice day.. ^^