Headstock question

wing

I think I know what you are talking about. You'd have to bind a LP style headstock, i.e. not a Fender style.

So, yeah, the binding would be flush with the top face of the headstock and meet up at the nut. Personally, I don't like binding on headstocks or fretboards, so I really have not given it much thought.

As the face of the headstock is raised level with the nut with bound headstocks does that mean more headstock angle is required. I currently have 13 degrees which is what gibson has on unbound headstocks that are level with the bottom of the nut. I keep thinking that the same angle but higher face will mean the strings might pop out the nut!

I'm sure there's photos on websites like Jackson, Warmoth, etc. but whether the binding "meets" at the nut depends on how deep your nut slot is. Usually the binding will come up under the nut and be cut in a triangular shape to miter into the fretboard binding. So the headstock binding channel would be cut and the binding installed before you attatched the fretboard binding, perhaps before attatching the fretboard.

Here are a couple of pictures of both ways of doing this (if I am understanding what you are asking for):

Binding that is brought up to the level of the nut:

b2.jpg

Binding that is at regular height (what I use now):

b1.jpg

The differences are slight but noticeable. When you bring the headstock veneer up to the level of the nut (using a shim before the veneer is glued on (Benedetto style)) you also produce a headstock where the strings are closer to the wood. The truss rod cover is only 1/16" away from the strings on the first headstock above. Also since the top surface of the headstock is raised up so is the back thus changing the overall headstock angle.

The second method is to make a headstock with veneer as you would normally and then route for your binding with what you have. The look is cleaner to me because the strings have more clearance but the lines of the binding do not line up as well from the side. I prefer this method now, for no particular reason except the string clearance. Both work the same and the headstock angle difference is negligible (1 degree maybe).

Hope this helps.

~David