can I convert a 500k pot to a 250k pot?

albertop

Hello, I would like to convert two 500k pots to 250k so I can use them as tone controls, is there any way to do this?. My problem id that here in my country I can only get extremely low quality pots, they scratch even when new, and a friend gave me a couple of pots and I would like to use. I read that the difference is notorius between the 500k and the 250k for a tone control. thanks a lot.

You can add a 250K resistor in parallel with the fixed terminals of the pot, but it will alter the response of the pot. Or you could use a smaller cap to get the same frequency response without chaging the pots.

Erm... Isn't that a 500k resistor in parallel with the 500k pot terminals? Using that [(R1)*(R2)]/[R1+R2] equation, 2 500k resistors in parallel should give you an equivalent of 250k.. :D

Anyway, to add, I've tried this before and it does alter the response quite drastically like what Lovekraft mentioned.. No harm trying, though.. You could always just remove the resistor if you're not happy..

:D Matt, no offense, but try to stay with the group here. Did you not read this?

My problem id that here in my country I can only get extremely low quality pots

Somehow, I don't think Alberto has the option of scooting down to the Guitar center for new pots. B)

hahahahhahah i am a idiot! sorry i guess i never read that! umm, i guess you will have to modify the pot!