Neck-Thru

camsna

welcome man.

ive never seen a tutorial on neck thru personaly.

of what ive seen so far, neck thru's arent the easiest project to start off with. i know you hate to hear it, but maybe something like a set neck sg would be a bit easier/less stress on you.

westhemann was working on a neck thru a while back, but i believe he never finished it. dont know if personal reasons or because of problems.

but if your using korina, something that usually doesnt have some crazy grain and pattern, you could make cuts wisely, blend the heel into the back of the body, and it would be hard to tell a set neck from a neck thru...... for the most part that is.

feel free to ask anymore questions. i'll do my best to answer!

Thanks, man. This won't be my first project...but will be my first neck-thru. I always wanted an SG, so I'll make one for myself! Anyhow. I have the basic skill and understanding to do it. I just want to do it well. I'm thinking neck-thru for tonal reasons. I've only played a few with mixed results. But when done well, I think the neck-thru could be really tonally advantageous. Any pointers about unforseen, perhaps avoidable, stuations would be greatly appreciated. I already have a few unique ideas :D

Edited by camsna

no problem!

do you plan on doing the wing style, or wings for the body and then a solid top?

one advantage for the neck thru is cost of wood is less usually, and that the neck is easier to compelete and assemble to the other pieces.

keep in mind the cost of the wood for the neck though if your doing laminates, as the neck thru design makes it about 13" longer depending on what style body and what cut/thickness your going for.

I had considered a solid top but I think I'll just do wings. I plan on painting it all black anyhow. A maple cap might make it a bit more 'snappy' but Korina's a pretty spanky sounding material anyhow. I just have to make up my mind about a few things. Suggestions are welcome, BTW. Here's exactly what I'm thinking:

Black Limba/satin finished neck

White Limba body (painted black)

Pau Ferro fingerboard

string-thru/tune-o-matic bridge

Suhr SSV chrome-covered pups

I think the black limba neck would loock cool and sound bitchin' with it's white counterpart. Let me know what you think!

westhemann was working on a neck thru a while back, but i believe he never finished it. dont know if personal reasons or because of problems.

i have not finished it yet because of a lack of funds for hardware at the moment....but it will be finished eventually,and the majority of the special issues are already covered in the part i did do

check it out,maybe it will help

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4599