crazy wiring idea

deadmike

i had an idea for the guitar im currently building. im not really into complex sounds or mucking about with pedals. i just wack up my volume and tone and control the levels at the amp.

so my idea is, could i remove the pots all together?

having two ugly knobs sticking out of my body would ruin the image and rather than try to hide them why not just forget them?

could i (theoretically) wire my pickups straight to my lead making it full tone and full volume, or would it be zero tone/volume???

any advice would be greatly appreciated as this my first go at building a guitar and im still learning. :D

it would sound fine, with the exact sound produced by the pickup going to the amp, the loudness would be like the guitar turned to 10 on the volume pot (no resistance), as for the tone, it wouldnt cut off the highs (like tone pot on 0) or cut off the lows (tyone pot on 5-10) so it would sound more or less like the acoustic sound.

it would sound fine, with the exact sound produced by the pickup going to the amp, the loudness would be like the guitar turned to 10 on the volume pot (no resistance), as for the tone, it wouldnt cut off the highs (like tone pot on 0) or cut off the lows (tyone pot on 5-10) so it would sound more or less like the acoustic sound.

What tone pot cuts off the lows? Other than an active preamp or fairly rare tone control with a highpass filter like a Fender TBX, this shouldn't happen.

Your system will sound hotter than if you had a tone pot and volume pot on the guitar. Once you add a volume pot and tone pot, you automatically loose a little bit of what the orginal guitar would sound like. You still need some sort of switch when you plug in your guitar or you might blow some speakers. That or you must always have your guitar plugged into the amp before you turn it on.

BigD

You still need some sort of switch when you plug in your guitar or you might blow some speakers. That or you must always have your guitar plugged into the amp before you turn it on.

I don't see why...the pickups are a little hotter for not having controls but it should be little different than plugging a guitar with it's controls on 10 which is what most people do 99% of the time.

Of course, anytime you plug something into an amp you risk a god almighty thump or blurt, but this is because the amp is turned up towards 10 and is a risk to speakers and eardrums alike!

PSW

thanks for the info guys.

as for making sure my amps off before plug/unplugg , i always do that anyway as i blew a fuse in my amp once and its a lesson learned.

id really like to make the body as solid as possible so there will be no cavities at the back for switches/pots or any other nonsense.

again thanks for the advice :D

ok myth 1

you don't need anything other than a jack and a cable to hook into your amp.

myth 2 you can do low cut without going active and it was quite common on some import guitars back int he day.

fact 1 whenever you put anything in your signal chain in between the amp and the pickups wether it be Cable controls pickups or swiss cheese it will affect the tone.

What tone pot cuts off the lows? Other than an active preamp or fairly rare tone control with a highpass filter like a Fender TBX, this shouldn't happen.

read